• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D Vision Surround & 5760x1080 benchmarked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Could the Difference be tessellation ?

Edit - I really need to stop opening so many tabs or @ least refresh when i get to a new tab =)

Just making sure because the "SLI 3x/2x gain %" has a legend of "PCIe 2 3D off"
While "pcie3/2 performance gain %" has a legend of "2x SLI 3D off"

Thought that part might be backward.
Nah...that's fine. Comparing 3x/2x sli only leave pcie and 3d as variables while comparing pcie3/2 leaves 2x/3x sli and 3d.

The reason why they are pounding on them at hwbot is because the AMD cards can turn off tessellation while the nvidia cards cannot. That is a HUGE difference there.
Ahaaa! Ummm...yeah...imagine it would. Good one!

HWBot uses Heaven 2.1, not Heaven 4. Plus, AMD users typically disable tessellation within CCC for Heaven to boost results, so that's a major factor in AMD vs NVIDIA Heaven results on HWBot.

EDIT: ninja'd by 7 minutes... guess I should have refreshed the page :rolleyes:
Yeah...excellent point. I figured it was still Unigine so amd/nv performance should be similar from 2.1 to 4 (***-umed, rather...hopefully I didn't make one of myself hehe). And ditto what I said to EarthDog :) (his response was quicker because it took you a few extra minutes to think about and type that all).

Got it - makes sense that AMD and Nvidia card handles tessellation differently and this could be the root cause for the massive differential in performance in Heaven benchmarks.

Also, I guess AMD's Catalyst Control Center's optimization methodology must have somehow changed during the two tests I did, which led me to getting 19fps in one test and 35fps in the other test. I was pretty sure I didn't do anything to CCC settings but that's the only explanation I can come up with at this n point.

I guess I learnt something from all this : never rely on just one benchmark test when comparing card performance from two different camps! Thanks everyone for helping with the clarification.

Would still be interested in knowing how many fps you get in Heaven4 with extreme tesselation as well as how your setup does in some of the games I tested with the 680's.

The jump from 19 to 34fps still seems weird imho.

Its not so much that it handles it differently, they do I'm sure, its just that AMD cards have the ability to turn it off versus Nvidia cards that do not. Hwbot.org is a benchmarking site where the goal is to get the highest score so in most runs there, tessellation is disabled.

As funsoul mentioned, make sure you are running the same version of Heaven as that can make an even bigger difference than the tessellation. Compare like with like. :)

Wow...take a look at these results: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=375347

Seems that at higher resolutions (and more graphics horsepower) pcie3 really starts to shine. That said...I wouldn't have expected SUCH a difference between pcie2 and 3 (especially given the paltry deltas I got). Wonder if their setup running x16/x8/x8/x8 vs my X16/x8/x16 is part of what's making the difference?

Attachments

• PCI-ETests_zps3db0b0e7.jpg
    PCI-ETests_zps3db0b0e7.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 48
Back