• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some TBird cooling opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I'm unsure if this should be here or in cooling. Hopefully I've placed it correctly.

I think my two TBirds (listed in sig) are running too warm. From the few posts I've read, it looks like most say mid-40s to 50 is pushing it. My 1400 is 41-44 right now and the 1333 is 1 or 2 degrees above that; ambient is currently somewhere in the lower 20s C. These CPU temps are running about 15C above case temps.

As you can see, the 1400 (@only 1470) has an SK6/Delta on it. The Dr Thermal on the 1333 gives me about the same performance as the Gladiator did when I was temporarily using it. Open case only drops the CPU temps at most 4C, usually less. Is there something I'm overlooking here or is this just my inexperience with AMD showing up? I do get errors and hangs occasionally, and I'm having trouble pushing the 1.4 farther. I recognize a problem, but am I correctly blaming the temps?

BTW, case air flow: 80mm Enermax fans, short-cutted the thermistor to run at full speed. 1 in, 1 out, + PSU out. The 1333 also has one inside as a "director". And all these temps are at load running SETI. Thanks for any help.

I thin you need more fans in your case. I'm not sure 2 (The PSU fan dosn't really count) fans are enough. Try to remove a side of your case and see how the temps behave....

Walter:-) said:
I thin you need more fans in your case. I'm not sure 2 (The PSU fan dosn't really count) fans are enough. Try to remove a side of your case and see how the temps behave....

Already did that (see post again :)). They drop at most 4C with the case side off.

I also just added a 120 intake to the front 5.25 drive days, but that's not making any difference either. And I removed the bottom shell of the PSU to see if that would help evacuate air through its fan, but no luck there.

well.............do ya want to change HSf?.............ya might want to try puting a 7000rpm delta fan on your HS's that sould lower the temp a few degrees. Or ya can invest a larger HSF like a swiftek 462 or an Alpha pal8045 monster heatsinks

I'm gonna leave this here for now and see where the solution heads.

Is it stable at that speed (try the SETI benchmark for verification)? If so, try it faster. You're safe up to 70C, though you should only let it get to 60C if you're using the insocket thermistor.

Good read

kendle: I would rather go for another HSF than an even louder fan. With 4 loud fans in here now it's starting to make my ears ring when I leave the room. :) I thought the SK6 was a good one so that's why I'm trying to figure this out before I order any new parts.

Thelemac: That was an excellent read. I'm about to give a go at the math and see what it says. Thanks for the link.

The 1400 is *mostly* stable (if that's possible). Occasionally one of the SETI progs (CLC or Driver) will crap out. That's only happened since the ambient temp has come back up. It ran two weeks untouched and without problems while I was on my last trip. The 1333 has died twice after I've left on a trip, and has also had a couple of instances of freezing one of the SETI progs.

Haven't tried the bench file yet. Haven't even thought of it. I think I'll give that a go tomorrow or this weekend.

Ok. Did the math and my temps are within a degree or two of what's expected with this setup. Guess I have a little hardware tweaking/cooling to do. Thanks for the help.

alpha 8045 is the fan for u my man.. i got mine with a y-tech 48.5 cfm for 44 bucks total which is a great deal u can get it for cheaper if u pick a lower cfm fan.. which u might want to think about if u dont plan on OCing.. i have mine at 1.333 from 1.13 (ok overclock i guess sence i own the 9 version and not the y) but anyway they are great a good deal in installing but its a bit fun to see if u can do it just take ur time and u will be fine.. also make sure ur motherboard can handle the sucker as it is pretty dam big..

also u might want to see how hot ur HD and vid card are.. my HD would get really hot and heat up my CPU u put a fan under it and bam the HD is cool and my cpu is happy

o yeah the link to the alpha for cheap

http://www.svcompucycle.com

Back