• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't create new folders in Vista Business 32bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Ok, weird one here. We've got a computer running Vista Business 32bit, and it won't let you creat new folders. The context menu option is there, but when you click on it, Explorer locks up and you have to restart it because it won't respond.

You also can't create a new folder in CMD either.

Folders can be copied and renamed, so the user does have a workaround.

I've tried this registry fix: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69837-new-folder.html and no luck.

Also tried this one: http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/tutorials/2522d1201106536-new-folder-fd32.reg (Warning actual .reg file there...I did look through it first and didn't see anything suspicious.)

Any suggestions for how to fix this?

disable the UAC and see what happens? is the account you're using and administrator on that PC?

What happens when you use the Ctrl+Shift+N key combination to create a new folder?

This was the response from the user (I'm off work for 2 weeks, the user isn't)
I broke my key board…..just kidding, nothing happens. I tried it on my desk top, in a folder, in the popup menu in a folder and after putting the cursor on new in the popup menu.

disable the UAC and see what happens? is the account you're using and administrator on that PC?

UAC is already disabled. User has administrator rights on that PC.

System restore?
Have you tried "sfc /scannow" in command prompt to make sure there's no corrupt system files?
Then to find out which one is damaged I think you do something like "findstr /F:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.tct"
You do something after that but I haven't used command prompt for a while so I'm pretty shakey with that. Poke microsoft? They might say how to check for corruption or there might be an open thread somewhere about it.

That should output a text file saying exactly what the corrupt file is. Not sure actually how to fix it though but it might narrow down the problem.

Sorry I can't be more help :(

Back