• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't upload Gmail attachments in Win7 Pro anymore--Stumped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Gmail won't let me upload attachments at all when using FireFox for some reason. I have been using this same FF version and Win7 Pro for many months.

The error I get from Gmail is "retry, remove, help" that's it.

I have FF version 18.0.2 (I don't want the new version because of the FF PDF viewer- I hate it, I prefer Adobe's).

I tried the same files and using IE v8.0 (no longer supported by Gmail) and uploading an attachment for email worked just fine.

I have the MOST recent version of Flash, that didn't fix it.

A few weeks ago using uploading attachments in Gmail worked fine. The past 2 weeks or so, I can't upload any type of attachment regardless of size.

I disabled ABP, KAV even Malewarebytes software, cleared all my cache- still nothing.

Tried FF in its safe mode- no change.

FINALLY, I restarted Win7 Pro in its Safe Mode w/networking- and instantly I was able to add attachments with FireFox (friend opened the documents too)

I haven't updated Windows in many months actually. So I'm stumped on this one, and I don't know Win7 well at all as this is my new rig with the first time I've used Win7 basically.

ANY IDEAS APPRECIATED???

Thanks in advance!!

Rename the Firefox profile so it starts completely clean. If that fixes the problem, then it something with your profile. If that doesn't fix it, do a clean install.

Rename the Firefox profile so it starts completely clean. If that fixes the problem, then it something with your profile. If that doesn't fix it, do a clean install.

Would creating a new profile be the same thing effectively tell me the same thing as renaming the profile?

I haven't had to do this before, and I know very little about FF18 as I kept using an older version on my old computer- time to google more.

I'm not sure. I would just rename the profile itself.

I made a new profile (kept the old one), and that didn't work either. The new profile updated my FF to the most current version as well, that didn't help either.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I would just rename the profile itself.

What's the best way to isolate what component of Windows is having problems with Gmail.

All I know is if I put Win7 Pro in Safe Mode with networking, the attachments work again.

I opened the msconfig window, and there's a long list of Services under the Boot tab, and there's a much shorter list of items under the Startup tab.

I have never done this before in Win7, so I don't know how to go about doing it.

In msconfig, go to Services, check "Hide all Microsoft services", disable everything. Go to the Startup tab, disable everything. Restart and try again. If it works, start enabling things you need until either you enable everything or it stops working.

In msconfig, go to Services, check "Hide all Microsoft services", disable everything. Go to the Startup tab, disable everything. Restart and try again. If it works, start enabling things you need until either you enable everything or it stops working.

So after restart, then enable one item at a time, restarting each time.

Does it matter if I enable from the Services tab first or the Startup Tab?

I can only enable one thing at a time to determine the cause (assuming it's not a MS OS issue)

Yes.

No.

Correct. To truly know what the problem is, you'd have to do them one at a time. You could do them in "chunks", but honestly, you shouldn't have that many things running at startup. Just enable what you need. It should be a very short list.

Yes.

No.

Correct. To truly know what the problem is, you'd have to do them one at a time. You could do them in "chunks", but honestly, you shouldn't have that many things running at startup. Just enable what you need. It should be a very short list.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. In startup I only have 14 items, I know what each is.

It's the other tab, it has about 80 items running (and a number that are listed as stopped) SO, it's a long list of things to check out that are running.

I found something else interesting. I used a link from Google Groups to allow my Gmail account to be used under Basic HTML. I was able to upload attachments. However I lose functionality of other Gmail features.

I don't know the difference between current html and basic html that would cause this.

Last edited:
80 items? Did you click the check box that hides Microsoft services, like I mentioned? If yes, what the heck do you have installed?

Sorry...the 80 items listed included everything.

I sorta solved the problem via a post elsewhere. I togged spdy to off in FF. I don't know why it worked, but for now it's working...we'll see...

please toggle network.http.spdy.enabled (again in about:config) to false by double-clicking it & restart the browser again.

Mine is enabled and my attachments work. That is strange.

Back