• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot create new folders in Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyian

Greetings all.

We ran into an issue with a client that has stumped me and im hoping to tap into the knowledge pool that exists here :)

A user recently discovered that he can no longer create new folders in Windows (7) though any visual interface. The right click -> new -> folder option is missing, and the "New Folder" button in the windows explorer does nothing when clicked. He can still create folders using the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+N) as well as though command prompt (md new_folder).

I've dove into Google quire a bit and there doesn't seem to be any magic bullet answer that i can find, and the few that i could involve digging and editing the registry.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? The next step for us is a re-image (format/rebuild of the machine) and the user isnt keen on that idea.

Thanks in advance.

Can another user on the same workstation create folders? If so, it is something specific their profile. If not, it is something with the Windows install overall.

You could also try creating a new account if another does not work.

Back