• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5850 safe overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

taker123

I just got my 5850 and I want to overclock it just so I can squeeze performance out of it but I don't want to push it too hard espeically since I just got it. What is a nice safe overclock for this card that can run 24/7 that I really wouldn't even have to worry about?

Also what is the best overclocking utility to use? I had rivatuner for my old 8800GT but it doesn't seem to work with my 5850.

if you dont have an ASUS or MSI card, flash to ASUS bios. then overclock it to 900 core/ 1200 memory :p i only bumped the voltage to 1187 to be safe. I use MSI afterburner to alter the auto fan and keep my temps under 70c under full load.

I use MSI afterburner for overclocking my card and tweaking the autofan.

if you dont have an ASUS or MSI card, flash to ASUS bios. then overclock it to 900 core/ 1200 memory :p i only bumped the voltage to 1187 to be safe. I use MSI afterburner to alter the auto fan and keep my temps under 70c under full load.

I use MSI afterburner for overclocking my card and tweaking the autofan.

I have a Sapphire card and I really don't want to flash the bios

if u dont want to flash, then you'll be limited to 775/ 1125 max overclock :p. you can do that fine @ stock settings and voltage. I Think i saw something about there being a way to overclock without flashing being available in the future...

Very nice! what tools did you end up using? I have heard some others using MSI afterburner and AMD GPU tool to achieve a 1ghz overclock without flashing.

I used the MSI Afterburner, and GPUTool as in the link above. I would like to get an aftermarket cooler for it so maybe I could push it a little farther? We shall see.

i flashed mine to an asus bios does 875/1200 on stock 1.0875v

I also flashed it with a newer bios ATI released for the 5870's, couple others have done it. Stock volts is 1.174, 950/1300 is stable at those volts for me. Of course the card runs much cooler at stock volts and 875/1200, maybe 55c everywhere with 35% fan. Much more fun card then 5870 was to OC and it runs so damn cool, coolest running card ever and so much power.

You don't have to flash the bios to beat the 775/1200 mark. My gpu-z is showing me clearly above those marks on my memory I use the AMD tool and afterburner.

Furmark is also in concurrence with that as well.

you dont have to flash it actually, there's a setting in Afterburner that lets you go past factory bios stock settings, but it stays in 3d mode all the time.

Just keep temperatures under 70-75 and you're fine whatever you do. Unless you put the volts up way too high of course.

Hmmm i unlocked the msi afterburner but im unable to set a higher core clock than 775... The slider just dont go further...
How to get 810?
i have a His 5850

Back