• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this a cheap power supply probelm heelp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jcrew3002

Registered
i recently bought a dioblotek 550W PSU to help power my Geforce GTS 250 video card, its rated at 34Amps on the +12V rail, the reason why i think its cheap is because it was only 30 bucks.. i think it may crap out faster than more expensive power supplys and now ive run into a problem. I got my Phenom II x4 955 BE to 4.1Ghz this morning (38 degrees C full load)and my memory to 1108Mhz (1066 ) and i tried to run GTA 4 which had been running very smoothly ever since i have been playing it. when i ran GTA 4 at 4.1Ghz of course it stuttured and crashed after about 2 minutes and my PC reset. i thought nothing of it and i felt "well ill shoot for overclocking later on right now i want to play GTA 4" so i set everything back to stock settings. BUT NOW GTA 4 stuttures whenever i press a button on the keyboard during gameplay, and its only when i press a button during gamplay! i can pan around with the camera no problem at very high settings but as soon as i press a button on the keyboard it stutters ( drops to about 12FPS for about for a second and then goes back to 42FPS ). this is happening only after a failed overclock of 4.1GHz but now i have no overclock settings and all stock. but get this.. crysis runs just fine.. :sly: i ran memtest86+ on the memory and it passed twice. the video card has never been overclocked so im going to rule that out for now. the CPU passed prime95 (3 minute test, i will run a 3 hour test soon ) my only guess is i pushed the cheapo PSU too far during overclocking ( i only volted the CPU to 1.465V peak during overclocking and no higher but im guesing the PSU is soo cheap that killed it?) im hoping its not the motherboard. what are the steps i should take to troubleshoot this bizare problem.

I have no idea who that OEM is so no clue really. I would personally stick to major brands like COrsair, PCPnC, Silverstone, Seasonic, Zippy, Enermax Revo series, etc...

Buying a cheap PSU for such a nice system is a sin really and could be a problem if not now, down the road.

definitely a sinny sin sinnnnnnnnn !!

your pc will soon die with that PSU .. id be willing to sig bet on it :D

Back