• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update Code 80073712 on Vista SP1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
I recently removed a couple of drives from my system, and reinstalled Vista (Ultimate 64-bit) on the new primary drive. All WU so far were successful, and now SP1 is the only remaining update. It fails every time I attempt to install with "code 80073712". I have checked for a "pending.xml" in C:\windows\winsxs, and it does not exist. I also ran chkdsk on C:, and manually (re-?)installed WUA 3.0. I have not found any other possible solutions through Google searches. Suggestions?

All WU so far were successful, and now SP1 is the only remaining update. It fails

Reformat and reinstall again, then download and install SP1 manually, if the DVD don't have SP1 and install SP2 manually, BEFORE running Windows Update!

Windows Update is known to F-up when service packs aren't installed first, apparently, Windows Update keeps trying to install an update when missing a prerequisite!

I wouldn't be surprised if that why Windows Update is giving you a pink screen of death, an error code.

Back