• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVI to HDMI Adapter... better results?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciku

My video card is pny gtx 275 and has no hdmi output except that it comes with a dvi to hdmi adapter. My monitor supports dvi/hdmi input. If I use that adapter that came with the card, would I get better results in terms of display/picture quality?

It shouldnt affect it at all, they are basically the same thing, except hdmi has sound. they are both digital so there is no conversion involved.

I would think the quality would be worse dependent upon the monitor. I think hdmi is limited to 1080p or 1920x1080 pixel resolution. If you have a 1920x1200 pixel monitor, then outputting with the hdmi cable would cause you to lose 120 rows of pixels.

No effect unless the adaptor is dirty & the contacts are bad then you will get some noise on the screen. DVI & HDMI are the same except HDMI has sound also but basicaly the same just a different shape.

I've noticed some people reporting that when using the HDMI cable, their text looks fuzzy, but with the DVI cable, it was crisp. However when watching HDTV signals on the monitor with the HDMI cable, everything looked good.

I've noticed the same thing myself on a second monitor.

I don't think this is due to a bad connection, but how some monitor's hardware deals with having the HDMI port used, and trying to optimize performance.

However, I have no proof, other than my own experience with text looking crappy from HDMI video output to HDMI monitor input, but fine from HDMI video output to HDMI>DVI adapter to DVI monitor input.

You wont see a single bit of difference between hdmi and dvi. They are EXACTLY the same electrically but hdmi has the addition of digital sound and is a different connector.

You wont see a single bit of difference between hdmi and dvi.

But I did.

They are EXACTLY the same electrically but hdmi has the addition of digital sound and is a different connector.

They are the same data connection, but the monitor can tell which port is in use (says so when you turn on the monitor), and may process the signal differently.

They are the same data connection, but the monitor can tell which port is in use (says so when you turn on the monitor), and may process the signal differently.

You may have something there. When I use the HDMI ports on my monitor I am allowed to change colour settings when I am on DVI I can not. So the monitor might be the part that causes the change & not the cable itself.

Back