• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why you should use OpenGL and not DirectX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good read. I wish more developers had went with OpenGL. It would have made the Windows/Linux gaming race much tighter.

Oh geez. This is written just in the perfect tone to stir up a flame-war. While I'd love to see more high-performance OpenGL games, this guys goes over the top.

He completely ignores the shift from OpenGL for DirectX in the early 2000s (THAT was when things shifted in favor of DX, NOT Vista in the mid-2000s), which occurred for reasons other than "M$ is evil"

At the moment, OpenGL may well be suitable for high-performance gaming engines, but I'd prefer more reasoned arguments.
Until then, OpenGL completely owns the mobile space, so I don't see much reason to complain overall.

Oh geez. This is written just in the perfect tone to stir up a flame-war.

Not even O/C has anybody nerdy enough for an OpenGL/DirectX flame war.

Your life has seriously taken the proverbial "wrong turn" if you find yourself heated up over THAT argument.

At that point it's time to GO OUTSIDE... TALK TO GIRLS... maybe start KNITTING... I dunno...

im with rain on this one... i thought it would be at least some kind of talk about it. i dont think he was over the top but did bring up good points. i mean look at all the ID games, they are all OpenGL. on top of that it didnt take much work to turn them into RT engines either.

the big point that was miss IMO. is the OpenGL is much better for US the gamers. do you really want to be stuck with MS's "if you want to use this D-X you need to upgrade your os?" bully tactic? even way back in the day when games let you choose OpenGL or D3D. every game i played looked way better in OGL then D3D.

we gamer need to speak up, i want games in OGL.

Agreed. I want better games too.

OS upgrading is a pointless debate. There has yet to be any games worth 2 poops that required Vista or 7. Besides, if many people here spend $200-$300 every 6-9 months to upgrade their video cards...what's $100 to upgrade their OS?

Your life has seriously taken the proverbial "wrong turn" if you find yourself heated up over THAT argument.

At that point it's time to GO OUTSIDE... TALK TO GIRLS... maybe start KNITTING... I dunno...
Oh, of course not here. I don't really care to participate in one myself - I just get annoyed by articles written in a tone just to stir people up (which you can has happened by the comments).

It's the behavior that aggravates me to no end. I'd prefer to see this sort of argument better stated.

I guess I prefer something along the lines of "Hey, OpenGL as a rendering engine was sidelined by the gaming industry a decade ago, but things have changed and now it's a reasonable alternative to DX in this, this, and this manner" rather than "OpenGL was killed by EVIL MS even though it is SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY".

Last edited:
who wants to start the glide revolution?

:comp:

would in a heart beat if i could get my hands on a single chip Voodoo 6 6000. :drool:

what most people dont know is that the VSA-100's were impressive big time. even if they couldnt keep up FPS wise with other cards. the amazing thing about using a large array like 3DFX did, they were able to lossless FPS with AA applied. the voodoo 5 5500 would do AAx2 lossless at 1024x768 or was it higher. been a while since i have read this. there is a Quantam3D card that uses VSA-100's, 4 vsa's per board. reported to be used in military flight sim. they could apply up to 4xAA with no FPS hit. as the drivers were designed to turn on the other VSA's for AA only. From what i understood with no AA applied it would still use 2 vsa's. then you could apply 2xAA for no hit, then higher AA enabled the other VSA chips.

check these link out
VSA-100 x4
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_4116.htm

VSA-100 x8
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_aalchemy.htm

Look at the psu at the bottom in the second link, notice the 2.9V rail? :eek:

*edit*
check out this Utube video i just found! OMG two Quantum3D AAlchemy 8232 in the system! that is 16 vsa-100s!! :drool:

*edit2*
the OMG factor of Fear running on a voodoo 2 SLI, then HL2!'
then check out this guys collection of the Voodoo 6 6000's! OMG

Last edited:
just browsed the wiki on 3dfx

The cause of 3dfx's decline is a debated topic, although several factors contributed in some measure. First, the company was known to be a lavish spender on employee perks; it reported spending $30,000–50,000 on company lunches and other nonessentials each month, even up to the last two weeks before closing its doors.

no such thing as a free lunch huh.

Outside scares me, and girls are evil, open GL FTW!

O wait, ya i dont care what games are made in, as long as they are awesome like dirt 2 and mw2... i love the outdoors and my GF btw.

D3D was always garbage compared to OpenGL back when games gave you a choice between the two. It was nothing more than typical MS douchebaggery that put D3D out in the forefront.

However, I think OpenGL might have a brighter future, since it's my opinion that with consoles taking the forefront game quality is going down the tubes with substandard release after release, creating a huge industry of massive, consolidated companies expelling enormous amounts of semi-shovelware and sequels that are the same game re-released to the point that we're going to see the video game market crash under it's own weight when people begin to refuse to buy everything they pump out en masse, resulting in a refocusing back to smaller developers and more indie work. But that is an utterly and entirely different discussion altogether.

Back