• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mid-high-end computer extremely slow when accessing HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satsumomo

Hi there!

My specs are on my signature, and my RAID is setup like this:

Array 0 - RAID 0 - 70GB
Array 1 - RAID 0 - All the rest

This is just 2 x WD Caviar blacks, and I'm using Intel Matrix Raid. This happened on Vista x64 as well as now in Win 7 x64.

The problem is that when my computer is working hard on the HDD's, it really slows up. For example, when copying a big file from one place to another or doing a virus scan with MSE.

1 core will bounce around 100% use (50% total use on my CPU meter then) but switching windows, opening new pages and such just have some terrible lag. Even while I am typing this right now, the cursor will briefly stop for moments.

Is this normal? I find it strange that a 3.6Ghz C2D system with a RAID 0 setup can slow down so much when I'm doing these tasks.

I believe the problem would be that you are writing from the first partition to the other. If I am correct, thats proof of concept that review sites were talking about in regards to short stroking a hard drive and using the 'back end' of it at the same time. When data is accessed on the second part of the array, the response/seek time on the first array/partition is no better than the single drive. Is that what you are doing? Moving files from the first "array" to the second?

Not sure why the significant CPU overhead though. I never short stroked the drives I had when I was in raid. I wrote everything else to a different drive.

Last edited:
also is that using intel matrix raid or onboard raid.. matrix "might" account for the extra cpu usage

Yes, Matrix raid is what I've been suspecting most of the time. I very rarely move files from one partition to the other, since the first partition being 70GB is only the OS.

When I copy files from the same drive to another part in the drive, or even when pulling files from my external HDD onto my PC, I get this slowdown. Even just extended reads do this, like my antivirus.

However, right now it's only accessing the second big array, and everythings working fast, even though CPU is still 50%.

My RAID did that too when i was copying large file... CPU Usage wasn't near as high though.

I bet if you were to look at your RAM usage when copying a large file, you'd find that the RAM is full, and that it's probably trying to access the swap file, and read the file you're copying, and write it to the second partition all at the same time. Hard drives can only do one thing at once... they DON'T multitask like that :/

I understand that, but for example, I'm just switching windows, not necessarily a heavy task, yet my whole system gets bogged down while I'm copying these files.

It's pretty much switching firefox tabs, or msn conversations.

Mine did too... it was useless when copying files.

What exactly is it doing when you try to switch windows? Thrashing the hard drives, and being painfully slow at rendering?

What antivirus are you using? And what's causing all the CPU usage? My guess is that your antivirus is trying to scan everything while you're doing those copies, and it's doing a very inefficient job of it.

Open up task manager and see what process is using the CPU time when you're moving files. The CPU hogging is likely the cause of the UI slowdown that you're seeing.

I believe the problem would be that you are writing from the first partition to the other. If I am correct, thats proof of concept that review sites were talking about in regards to short stroking a hard drive and using the 'back end' of it at the same time.
This is a big problem, and it's one of the biggest reasons why I won't use Matrix RAID once I get rid of this setup. Apparently that's not the problem, but it's super annoying when it is.

also is that using intel matrix raid or onboard raid.. matrix "might" account for the extra cpu usage
I really don't think that's the case - I've never seen or heard of Intel RAID acting that way.

1 core will bounce around 100% use (50% total use on my CPU meter then) but switching windows, opening new pages and such just have some terrible lag. Even while I am typing this right now, the cursor will briefly stop for moments.

Is this normal? I find it strange that a 3.6Ghz C2D system with a RAID 0 setup can slow down so much when I'm doing these tasks.

Sounds like Windows went to PIO mode, because of a bad ATA data cable connection.

You must check the event log for ATA errors, good chance you have an ATA parity error or an error about the ATA device not responding within a timeout period.

Windows is known to force PIO mode if Windows detects ATA corruption.

Back