• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9300 or X3220? What do I want?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wreckless Hype

Registered
I have an extra tower I put together as a home server but I decided I'm just going to get a NAS instead. So I think I'm going to dump the third tower. However, it has an Intel X3220 in it. Wondering if I should take it out and put it in my Q9300 build? This is my current setup:

Asus P5Q-Pro
Intel C2Q Q9300 w/ Scythe Ninja 2
Mushkin 4x2GB 1066
500GB + 500GB Hitachi P7K RAID0
EVGA 9800GT w/ T-Rad2 & 2 92mm
Mushkin 550w Modular PSU

I have yet to overclock anything. It's my main tower. I use it for watching TV shows / movies and gaming (Nothing crazy, Fallout 3, UT3, etc)

What do you guys think? Please support thoughts. I'm quite torn. Thanks guys.

If your going to run the a default clock speed, then the Q9300 is the better option (higher clocks and FSB). If you're over-clocking, then if depends how far you're wanting to push them. The X3220 is just a server badged Q6600, one of the best Oc'ing chips of all time. If just a "mild" Oc (3.0 - 3.2 Ghz) then the X3220 might be worth a think as is is a server part and should last longer the a desktop chip. In my experience, unless you're going to be playing Crysis or Stalker Clear sky in Dx 10, at super high res, then over clocking for normal games is surplus to requirements. Hope it helps a little :)

I haven't OC'ed anything yet because I'm unsure of how to honestly. But I'd like to. What's possible on air cooling for this chip? I'd imagine 3ghz is easy enough? Maybe 3.2? If I could push to 3.5, that would be great. I will have to look into this. Between that and RAM OC'ing. Thank.

3.0-3.4 should be relatively easy...beyond that will start getting tough fast...especially with your 8GB of mem.

I kept my X3220 G0. I put it on my P5Q-Pro board in my new Antec 300 case. It's got all fan slots filled with Yate Loon medium speed fans and a Scyhte Ninja 2 heatsink w/ 1 Antec TriCool on max speed.

The processor is running at 3.6ghz very smoothly. It runs all my new games on max settings and maxes at 66C. I've been running it for about 2 weeks and it's stupid fast and I've had 0 issues with it. I'm impressed. Thanks for the help guys.

I also just put an XFX HD5770 in. I'm pretty happy with that purchase. My Windows Experience is at a solid 7.4 except my hard drives sit at 5.9.

Back