• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplier Stuck at 6x, HELP??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thaclassikz

E7400 wolfdale
Intel D945gcpe mobo
2gb ddr2 667

Multiplier is stuck on 6x, and won't go pass 1.6ghz

I updated bios and still not working. There are no options in bios to change multiplier. What could be the problem and how can i fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Before go off with a wild goose chase, please post a screenshot of Prime95 underload with CPU-Z.

How do you know its stuck at 6 if you can't select it in Bios?

Are you running CPUz and it shows X6?

If so, run your computer under load and see if it climbs to 10.5, then you have Intel Speed Step or EIST enabled in Bios. This is a power saving option ramping up to 9.5 under useage. If you turn it off your chip will default to its highest Multi at all times.

If this is not the case, then either your Bios are broken, your board does not support your Processor, or perhaps your CPU is defective (highly doubt this).

Double Check your bios, you should be able to at least see the multipliers somewhere even if you cannot change them. Post screen alone should show this.

Post more information on your motherboard so we can look up the Manual.

Put a load on the CPU (like P95) and watch that bad boy jump up. Its a power saving feature as BF mentioned above.

Im absolutely floored that your motherboard is even running that CPU. thats a 945 chipset and 45nm wofldale's were only a twinkle in Intel's eye when that was released.....

BIOS update, otherwise, Im thinking that chip isnt supported. Try to find a CPU compatibility list for that motherboard...

Actually, its not supported... I found the CPU support list: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gcpe/sb/CS-027115.htm

Ding Ding Ding!!! EarthDog is the Winner!

Sorry to hear you cant use your Dual Core now :(

Still a Dual core running at 1.6 is better than a single core running at 1.6. :(

Save up for a better motherboard next month and use that one until then.

If you can raise the FSB to say 400, then you could manage a 2.4GHz clock at least and even if your Ram limits you to 333, that is still 2.0GHz.

OVERCLOCK WITH LOWER MULTI!

Last edited:
Ding Ding Ding!!! EarthDog is the Winner!

Sorry to hear you cant use your Dual Core now :(

Still a Dual core running at 1.6 is better than a single core running at 1.6. :(

Save up for a better motherboard next month and use that one until then.

If you can raise the FSB to say 400, then you could manage a 2.4GHz clock at least and even if your Ram limits you to 333, that is still 2.0GHz.

OVERCLOCK WITH LOWER MULTI!

Unfortunately the mobo doesn't allow me to change fsb or multiplier.

Time for a motherboard that actually works with your chip!!! If you want to overclock look for a Gigabyte EP45 UD3P or UD3L. ;)

Otherwise any P43/41 G41 would be the best for you.

^^^
What they said. Since you already have the chip and the ram you are 66% there.

50 dollars should get you a compatible motherboard with moderate overclockability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2010200280 50001315 4025 1070631947&name=ASUS

I have the ASUS P5KPL-AM for my E5200 and it overclocks to 3.2 on that board. With a Volt Mod I could most likely get it to 3.5, but no sense in bothering, its my backup. Your 7400 would probably fair better and reach 3.5 which is way better than 1.6.

That setfsb thing doesn't seem to be working. Guess i need to get a new board, thanks guys.

Don't feel bad bro, my HTPC has an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe, but using a single core P4 3.0Ghz clocked @ 4.0Ghz. Runs like a champ, but I can't install Vista/Win 7 x64 :-/ I need me a dual core chip to run x64 based os besides XP Pro x64 which I don't want.

Don't feel bad bro, my HTPC has an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe, but using a single core P4 3.0Ghz clocked @ 4.0Ghz. Runs like a champ, but I can't install Vista/Win 7 x64 :-/

Sounds like it was one of those later Pentium 4s, where Intel disabled 64-bit. :(

Gotta spend the $20ish to get a 6xx P4.
I had a 530j i rather enjoyed, 4ghz on a g31 board with no voltage options :D

Back