• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i have a e2160 laying around with 2 gigs of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterGarcia30

So I have an e2160 laying around with 2 gigs of ram doing nothing. I'm thinking of making a rig for kicks just wanted to hear some creative input as to what I could do. I don't really need another computer, but I might as well since I have an Antec 400 laying around as well. Maybe I should get creative with the case? or build it myself? I dont know atm...any suggestions would be welcomed.

Gotta agree with that.

Failing the above, you could always make yourself a HTPC.

I had a similar situation recently. My moms acer with 3 gig RAM and e2160 had a mobo die so she just bought a new PC. It gave me an excuse to grab a P45 board for my main rig and slap mt IP35 PRO in that rig. Right now it serves as my wife's PC and a back up incase something happens to mine. Soon it will become a file and print server for the house. I managed a decent quick OC of I think 3.2 with the stock heatsink from my q6600 on it.

Yeah I've been thinking of going the htpc route since we are getting a new 52 inch lcd with income tax money since our projection tv kinda died on us...I've been thinking of getting into folding just looks intimidating ie. allot of work to set up ill prob get around to it one day

If you want it simple, do Rosetta. It's more protein folding (they're attacking it from a different angle), and is insanely easy to set up on windows or linux.

ill check it out before i go to bed because i leave my computer on 24/7 anyways it might as well be doing something whats the cpu load like with rosetta?

Could always put a *nix operating system on and learn that. Quite a big thing to put down on a resume.

thats actually not a bad idea at all........not a bad idea at all... i have a few certs but have no *nix experience ..........very tempting

Back