• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget gaming rig review :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nekro31

Registered
I need your opinion :thup: on this Budget gaming rig im building, Keep in mind that I'm in libya so it limits the things i can get :bang head: and the egg doesnt ship to libya >.>.
PSU: Mercury XT 8550 550 Watts
GPU: Ati HD 4830
CASE: Raidmax Smilodon
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400

Plus does anyone know a good guide to overclocking I really want to learn how to overclock in depth :D
Thank you

Overclocking Guide

Those specs will allow you to play all the games currently out, but they won't be at full resolution with all the eye candy turned on. Budget means compromise. Pair some good ram with that board and you should be able to get some more performance out of the whole system.

Good luck~!

I need your opinion :thup: on this Budget gaming rig im building, Keep in mind that I'm in libya so it limits the things i can get :bang head: and the egg doesnt ship to libya >.>.
PSU: Mercury XT 8550 550 Watts
GPU: Ati HD 4830
CASE: Raidmax Smilodon
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400

Plus does anyone know a good guide to overclocking I really want to learn how to overclock in depth :D
Thank you

Salaamo 3alaikom (if you're muslim),

Here is a great guide to overclocking a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad

That is a decent build. But it all depends on what you want with your rig. Do you want to play DirectX 11? 10? What resolution do you want to play at?

I also think you could do less watts and save money on that PSU which then in place leaves money for a better GPU, or anything else. I ran a 4850 together with a quadcore on a 3-year old 350 Watt PSU and never had any problems.

Don't forget you also need RAM, and what about a harddrive? samsung spinpoint f1 or f3's are really good. Western Digital Black's are good as well.

Salaamo 3alaikom (if you're muslim),

Here is a great guide to overclocking a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad

That is a decent build. But it all depends on what you want with your rig. Do you want to play DirectX 11? 10? What resolution do you want to play at?

I also think you could do less watts and save money on that PSU which then in place leaves money for a better GPU, or anything else. I ran a 4850 together with a quadcore on a 3-year old 350 Watt PSU and never had any problems.

Don't forget you also need RAM, and what about a harddrive? samsung spinpoint f1 or f3's are really good. Western Digital Black's are good as well.

Waalaykom Alsalam
I plan on getting 2 GB's of RAM and a Samsung 500 GB hard drive i cant remember the model name I plan on buying a 19" monitor i dont know what resolution i plan on playing games on, although i will play them on DirectX 11 Inshallah.
I appreciate your help
:sn:

Overclocking Guide

Those specs will allow you to play all the games currently out, but they won't be at full resolution with all the eye candy turned on. Budget means compromise. Pair some good ram with that board and you should be able to get some more performance out of the whole system.

Good luck~!

Thanks i plan on adding 2 gigs and I wanted to know if i could play Crysis at a decent framerate it doesnt need to be on Extremely high quality just High would be nice :D cause im tired of both my crappy laptops not being able to play anything but solitaire >.> and lag on minesweeper xDDDD lol:attn:

I'd be very wary of a PSU that isn't from Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic. The $36(newegg, your mileage may vary) seasonic PSU has 24a 12v, plenty for a c2d and 4850. And, it really has 24a, not just a sticker saying 24a on a 13a psu. (I have no clue what yours can actually put out, never heard of that company before)

I'd be very wary of a PSU that isn't from Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic. The $36(newegg, your mileage may vary) seasonic PSU has 24a 12v, plenty for a c2d and 4850. And, it really has 24a, not just a sticker saying 24a on a 13a psu. (I have no clue what yours can actually put out, never heard of that company before)

Problem is i cant find any Corsair,Antec or Seasonic PSUS here in libya I'm extremely limited if i could find a website which ships to libya than that would help alot and the PSU is the best i could find it was either a $10 PSU or a $135 PSU.

Your System will Be good for every thing out .
I have a 4830 and a E8400 .
With your 7400 you should hit 4ghz with a real HSF .
I play @ 1920x1080 ( So never realy use AA) Crysis is the only game that causes it problems only get 15-20 fps avg in that game with it on Gamer settings @ 1920x1080 . I can give it a shot @ a lower rez if you want to know .

Your System will Be good for every thing out .
I have a 4830 and a E8400 .
With your 7400 you should hit 4ghz with a real HSF .
I play @ 1920x1080 ( So never realy use AA) Crysis is the only game that causes it problems only get 15-20 fps avg in that game with it on Gamer settings @ 1920x1080 . I can give it a shot @ a lower rez if you want to know .
I would really appreciate it if you could try it out for me :DDD ;)

I lowered My Oc to 4.2 and this is the 4830 @ stock
1280x1024 ( common 19 inch rez)

cry11280.png
cry21280.png

Lol thanks 25 fps is extremely playable for me to tell you the truth ive been playing CSS on my laptop at that fps for years now thanks alot :D I appreciate it :DDD

4830's ought to OC at least to 650, mine'll do 724. Makes a pretty decent difference even at 1280x1024.

Back