• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am3+ Budget Gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deadalus

Registered
hellos! This is my first post on this forum and my first part by part build since my last PC back when the first quadcores appeared (around 2008).
So after a year with no desctop(it wouldnt power/boot and having just bought a laptop that was better for gaming than my PC didn't bother till last week) i think it's time for a new gaming setup.
Facts:
1. My budget is at 550-650 euros (sadly the build i planned is at 790).
2. I 'm buying them from a local dealer that imports for variety and has some really enthusiastic people that will build it for me and deliver it at my home.
3.I will be gaming with this pc,no hardcore rendering etc etc. I 'm still drooling over 2k HD texture moded Skyrim,but in general i m not playing any cpu/gpu intese games atm,just waiting for the early 2013 releases to be impressed.
4.I will be attempting my 1st OC on this pc,so my knowledge is very limited but i want to get a good value for money computer that will OC well after a month or two when i grab a a few fans and set up a good push pull air flow(or whatever you guys recommend :p ).

I 've been an intel fanboy for some time but after surfing day and night for a week now to learn and catch up i 've come up with the following assumptions:
- AMD cpus at budget level are superior unless u can spend extra and get into the tier where the good i5's take over.
-Going for a AM3+ phenom x4 965 and OC it to 4GHz sounds the way to go.
-it will take my ram to 1333speed but i can set it in bios to 1600 , so i chose g.skill ripjaws X 8GB 1600mhz with CL7.
Gaming is GPU ,so i thought i 'd grab a 7870 2GB(hadn't decided which) but my budget suggests 7850 or lower(i assume that neither will be bottlenecked by the 965).
Best budget SSD i could find was this one because read speeds are close but it's in the top 3 write speeds(they vary wildly at the 60GB range).I can use the laptop for storage or get a 500GB/1TB mechanical later.
-Objectively the part in a pc that's most future-proof is the case.Corsair 400R or Haf912 seem the best choices for going mad with a screwdriver and some fans later,but i 'm afraid that that's where i need to limit my budget.
-how much power is ENOUGH? :p

TL DR: Here's the site where i m getting the pc from(translated to english for you) http://tinyurl.com/cg5flvp

And here's the list I had in mind:
-Corsair Carbide 400R MIDI tower no-psu
-Asus AM3+ M5A97 R2.0 GLan Audio Raid
-AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz Quad Core Socket AM3 125W
-G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 CL7 1600MHz
-ATI Radeon HD7850 DirectCU II TOP2GB DDR5 PCI-E/Dual DVI/HDMI DP(Asus)
-Samsung 64GB 830 Series MZ-7PC064B SSD SATA III 2.5"
-Samsung DVDR+-RW (anything around 20euro,just to have 1 optical)
-XFX PSU 550W ATX 24 pin Core Edition PRO550W Active-PFC Retail
Cost around 760-790,needs to drop to 550-650 range :S

Go crazy on each part ,suggest and explain why,there are so many factors i probably didn't consider yet.

Thanks in advance for the help :D

New AMD Build!

So welcome to the forums Deadalus for what i have look into and checked out your list it seems OK to me. But i am no AMD Guru here more Intel person myself, but it should OK. And on Google it say's it well OC to a low level with the Mobo+Cpu combo you have chosen. Best of luck with your build AJ. ;) :thup:

Edit post if you decide to go with this motherboard you will need a fan to cool down the VRM'S on the board! And being in Greece where it can reach up to 30c plus cooling is a must.

Last edited:
Id be nervous about overclocking much on that board... there are no coolers covering the VRM's.

I also question the Phenom II X4 purchase with the FX chips that are out...but that is likely a budget issue.

Yes 4+2 power phases but it says by asus its OK, but if you have a better idea ED Please let me know. And i will Edit now Bro?

I didnt mention anything about the number of phases...my concern lay specifically with the fact there is NO COOLING on the power bits. I would make sure the case has good airflow at minimum while overclocking a motherboard with no heatsinks on the power delivery area. Personally, I just wouldnt do it.

As far as a specific board, no clue, Im not an AMD guy either.

ED many thanks for the heads up Bro just double checked yes they say Fan on the VRM'S to cool it down!! Mounted in the case or very good air flow Buddy thanks. AJ.

Thanks guys,feel free to suggest swaps everywhere,mobo,gpu,cpu but remember that we need to go a bit down in price so i can actually buy the damn thing :p
See i had no idea about the VRM thing.
Just try to suggest a setup you think thats close to this one ,while focusing on the GPU for gaming and after i buy it i 'll be back so we can OC it :p

if you can add 40euros . you could get an asus m5a99x evo for 130E, and you can oc on that or m5a99fx for 132 euro. they are both very good mobos& both are capable of decent OC`s.

Can you help here i am not a AMD Guru how about my post for the Gigabyte OK or no?

Yeah tungureanu,but the first thing i posted is that we need to subtract aroud 100 euros :S
Also there is the link i posted is from the shop i 'm getting everything and you can see that it has almost everything available.
I also posted it so you can try to set up a build around 650 to your liking and link it back.
(just the tower and no windows,i got Win 8 from my univercity)

Can you help here i am not a AMD Guru how about my post for the Gigabyte OK or no?

that sounds ok . alldough i don`t have exp with gigabyte. only with asrock and asus. never trusted anyone else...just like with graphic cards (asus, sapphire, XFX, maybe MSI)

Last edited:
Yes we can give good advice but if you do not want to listen then that's your right as the OP. But think of this if you buy the wrong Mobo then it will not OC what then? You then have to buy another so what is important to get it right first time! AJ.

Yep,everything in the case that makes the pc work :) My build up there is 770 but i thought i would swap to a cheaper case and mobo ,but it seems this one is already low end?

If I had the budget ajay57 sure,but atm i can't afford a 130euro mobo on a 650f set.
If you want to build a intel setup on that price go ahead,but please use the site i posted so the prices are realistic :)

I will say this then leave it to the AMD Guru's you could build your set up you posted, but maybe you will not be able to overclock it too much! With the right fans and cooling you can run that at stock all day long no problems. Regards AJ. :)

what i`d buid from what i have there:

case CoolerMaster elite 361 44.07
mobo Asus M5A99X evo 130.48
cpu AMD Phenom X4 965 BE box 91.88
ram Geil Dragon 2x4gb cl11 1600 40.77 (it can run cl9)
graphics MSI R7850 2gb twinfrozr 213.10
ssd intel 330 60gb sata 3 67.44
psu: CoolerMaster GX550 75.74

TOTAL 663.48 euro

most of the choosen components are tried,tested(by me) and are still running

PS or just change the mobo to the ASUS M5A97 EVO from your original setup

I will say this then leave it to the AMD Guru's you could build your set up you posted, but maybe you will not be able to overclock it too much! With the right fans and cooling you can run that at stock all day long no problems. Regards AJ. :)

1. i ain`t no AMD guru, just a guy with more exp in amd than in intel
2.it will run the 965be on stock without a problem. maybe even some ligh oc, but the power delivery is just too light

thanks a lot! Never heard of that ram before though o_O
CPU is the same,gpu awsome and i have to trust you on the mobo.
Do the M5A97 EVO / M599X EVO do better on OC and which one is better?

EDIT: Isn't the 361 elite too small for proper cooling and adding fans later?

Back