• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Happy reinstall day!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

For other slackers like me who've been running 7 RC all this time, today's the day. Personally, I'm going to use a retail copy of Vista Ultimate that MS sent me a while back for doing a survey thing. 7 is great but not that much different from Vista to be worthing spending $100+ for a sideways upgrade.

Anyone else going back to an already owned copy of XP or Vista now that 7 RC is expired?

No reinstall for me, not yet anyways. Running legit 7 Pro on my laptop atm, and once my new rig is up and going, it get's seven and my laptop gets nUbunutu/Ubuntu...(and maybe an XP partition for LAN.) So not quite yet, but it's coming.

~Cheeers.

I feel there's a pretty significant difference with Win7 now so I'm sticking with that. Gotta love wipe days, there's nothing like a freshly formated HD and a new copy of your OS :-D

While 7 is great, you can tweak Vista to pretty much look/run almost like 7 and for free too. The only thing with Vista is that if you reinstall, you are going to have a ton of updates to download.

I feel there's a pretty significant difference with Win7 now so I'm sticking with that. Gotta love wipe days, there's nothing like a freshly formated HD and a new copy of your OS :-D

Speaking of wiping, I gotta figure out the way to 'secure erase' the SSD or whatever so performance goes back to where it was from the factory :beer:

For other slackers like me who've been running 7 RC all this time, today's the day. Personally, I'm going to use a retail copy of Vista Ultimate that MS sent me a while back for doing a survey thing. 7 is great but not that much different from Vista to be worthing spending $100+ for a sideways upgrade.

Anyone else going back to an already owned copy of XP or Vista now that 7 RC is expired?

Oh that's right! I do still have one system here that's running the RC. I'll have to wipe it and put a retail copy of Win7 Pro on there. (Luckily I got in on the ACM deal a while back before they shut it down and got 4 copies of W7Pro . I then got a full copy of Ultimate by doing the Launch party deal. :D)

I actually have to wipe this one today too though because I got a new board. :) Busy day I guess.

The Windows 7 RC deadline is what finally motivated me to do a fresh install this past week (lazy bum here). Anywho, as much as I liked Vista, I'm permanently making the move to Windows 7 with the free copy of Win7 Professional I got through the Microsoft Academic Alliance program. Were it not for that, I don't have any copies of earlier OSes lying around, and I certainly like Windows 7 enough, so I'd probably have moved away from Vista anyway.

Well, it won't boot from the Vista DVD (the optical drive is #1 in BIOS boot priority) and when I try to install from inside W7 it says there's no free space to unpack temporary files, requires 392MB on any partition - I have something like 700GB free though. Ugh.

edit: Had to make the partition active.. But Vista wouldn't just install over 7. Made a bootable USB with hdderase.exe but it won't activate the in-drive secure erase function because BIOS won't let it. Ugh. Next step is to try booting with the SATA power connector unplugged from the drive and then plugging it in after boot.

Last edited:
played with the win 7 during the very early stages beta stages... then spent 19 bucks and got 8 copies of win 7 pro. Been running full retail since mid September of 09. And reinstalled at the beginning of feb a nice stripped version of 7 pro 64 bit got rid of Internet explorer COMPLETELY (all install files and everything), media center and a whole buncha other stuff i never use (snipping tool, inbox games, gadget platform and sidebar... took all of 4.5 GB of space installed updated and with all the necessary drivers.

Speaking of wiping, I gotta figure out the way to 'secure erase' the SSD or whatever so performance goes back to where it was from the factory :beer:

I have to do the same thing....let me know if you find the answer first! :)

Not to hijack a thread, but I was looking into this today myself. Looks like Intel has a recommended procedure. I'll likely be trying this over the weekend myself.

Here's the LINKY

Back