• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 runs HOT at idle!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GSteg

I'm in a dilemma here. My computer runs pretty hot and I don't know why. To start off, here are some specs:

Intel Q9550 (2.83ghz stock)
MSI G31TM-P21 MOBO
4GB OCZ DDR2 Memory
60gb OCZ Agility SSD
600w OCZ ModXstream PSU
EVGA GTS 250 Graphic Card
Arctic Freezer Pro 7 (rev. 1)

At idle, my computer hoovers around 50-52 degrees celcius, and this was with the CPU fan running at 100% speed! :eek: I took it for a torture test and I had to stop it once it approached 70 degrees celcius. I'm not sure what the problem is. I tried orienting the fan in all position and it makes no difference. I tried switching to Arctic Creamique and it still runs as hot. When I open up the side of the computer case, the idle temperature drops down to maybe 45 degrees celcius and the load temperature goes down to 60 degrees. It's not dangerously high, but I rather not have the fan running at 100% with the side cover off.

There are quite a few people with the same CPU and cooler as I do, yet they run substantionally cooler. Could it be that my CPU sensor's are screwing around with me?:confused:

Is the CPU running at stock voltage and speed?

What is your ambient temperature?

The voltage is stock. I OC'ed it to 3.0ghz, but even at the stock 2.83ghz, it ran just as hot.

My ambient temperature is maybe around 65 degrees farenheit. I talked to an Intel tech and he say it was okay as long as it doesn't go over 71 degrees celcius. Still, I rather not be at the edge.

try reseating the heatsink and applying new thermal compound.. make sure your airflow is good in the case too

try reseating the heatsink and applying new thermal compound.. make sure your airflow is good in the case too

I've probably done that at least 10 times by now with the same result. I'll probably take out my graphic card to see if it makes a difference.

Sounds like your case has poor airflow, if you saw that big a drop in temps just by pulling the side cover off. And the FreezerPro 7 is a mid-level cooling solution at best, IMO. What kind of setup do you have for ventilation for your case? Do you have intake and exhaust fans and if so, what sizes and placement for them?

You should be able to reduce vcore at those speeds which will give you better results, but it does sound the the main problem is lack of cool, fresh air into the case. Even the best HSF is useless if all it does is move hot air around.

How much thermal compound are you using? When you remove the HSF does the thermal paste pattern extend past the edges of the CPU heatspreader? If so, you may be using too much.

Other possibility, since that HSF is push pin type, are you sure all those 4 pins are pushed until they clicked and flushed properly ?

Check at the backside of the mobo for those 4 pins, you should be easily recognized if they're not locked in place properly.

Last edited:
Back