• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange CPU heat issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whias

About a week ago I started having CPU heat issues with my 6 year old rig. I cleaned it for dust and applied some new paste but temperatures was still way too high and in the end I gave up on it and borrowed a pc from a friend.

We tested everything together at his place and everything seemed to be running smoothly and he never had any issues with the rig anyways.

A few days go by and I check my temperatures and again it's running very hot. My friend helps me check the PC and he applies some new paste and again everything is running really smooth temps are low and I take it back home. Instantly the temps seems to be running about 10-15 degrees hotter.

I'm getting paranoid at this point so I switch out power cables and power strip and now temps are still too high but temps doesn't seem to be hitting 100c anymore while gaming. I decide to connect it on another floor and instantly the computer is running noticeably lower while gaming.

PC is placed on hardwood floor on both floors and there isn't a significant room temperature difference on either floor. I've used the exact same equipment for both test.
I've also used different electricity sockets but there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference. I'm not really sure what to check for at this point and if there even is such a thing as "bad" electricity but any advice here would be much appreciated.

CPU is not overclocked

Idle temps (Ground Floor)
71c 74c 70c 75c (While Gaming)
50c -55c (AFK ingame)
Windows 35c-38c

(1st Floor)
60c- 65c (AFK in game)
79c, 76c, 80c, 88c (while gaming)
38c-40c (Windows)

Specs
Intel Core i7 7700k
Motherboard Asustek Computer inc strix z270e

You list the system temperatures but what are the ambient temperatures?

So in location 1 the highest temp is 75° and in the other the highest temp is 88°. An 13° temperature delta between the locations the computer is placed would suggest there's some environmental issue rather than a system problem. Is it located near a HVAC vent?

I did some more testing and the temps just seem to be getting worse and worse under pressure. I've hit 100c while ingame and it just seemed to be nowhere near that while I had it plugged it on a different floor, Perhaps I need to test it more extensively on the ground floor just to be sure.

I really think it's an environmental issue but 20c seems pretty standard as room temperature goes and I even placed it on hardwood floor just to be extra safe. There are no HVAC vent or anything of that sort. The thing that has me puzzled is the fact that temperatures are so solid that my friend considered to apply new paste to his own rig, yet when I place the rig on 1st floor idle temps are worse and it’s even hitting 100c under pressure while gaming.

Sorry but your posts are confusing to me. Are you saying that when you take your computer to your friend's place it runs cooler?

At your place, is the computer located in a place where there is not good air circulation, such that the intake fans are picking up a lot of hot exhausted air from the rear of the computer?

What are you cooling the CPU in your computer with? Are you using the stock Intel cooler or an aftermarket cooler. Please tell us about the make and model of the CPU cooler.

Also, what is the make and model of the computer case and how many fans does the case have to circulate air in and out? Is this a factory built computer or custom built?

I 2nd what Trents said, don't place the PC where there is dead air (no circulation) if need be put a floor fan in the room to circulate the air.
I have a PC I built almost 10 years ago and no heat issues and never replied the paste and it's in a room with 3 other PC's :) it's about 82f in here :rofl:

p.s. I have 7 PC's running 24/7 :)

Last edited:
Back