• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firware updates... is this really expected of users?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amnios

Having bought my first SSD I must say I am totally shocked as to the lack of support from SSD manufacturers when it comes to their firmware updates and install instructions/help

Average joe blow can NOT hope to buy an SSD and do anything on his own.

OCZ instructions have me downloading iso's and booting from them and then getting the firware program to run. THey give instructions to do it also on a USB stick but warn about needing a win98 boot disk if your flash drive is larger than 2GB. Does anyone nowadays have a USB smaller than 2GB? WIn 98 boot disk? Your kidding me OCZ... a dead OS and an obsure find at best for average Joe Blow.

Microsoft deserves a lot of credit when it comes to their updates... afterall a lot of the time it happens in the background AND automatically and we are talking hundreds of sub system upgrades and tweaks. Average Joe Blow's life continues.

SSD firware updates (which can be thought of as essential critical updates) are so non accessible... its just a drive for god sakes... I'm booting from isos???? LOL.

Good thing I have hours to devote to signing up to forums and reading posts and learning about isos and burning and bois settings and not giving up etc. (ps good help on forums from good people like... uh you i guess. No not you the other guy :p)

As you may have gathered i am right now involved in the beginning stages of a firmware update.

I'll get it eventually.

but I will have sacrificed much.

0 out of 10 for SSD manufactures in the ease of use column.

I suppose I should have a question or get flagged for spamming.

ok so do I need to format my SSD first before updating the firware?

It's called being an early adopter. SSDs will not become mainstream for at least another year, and probably more like 2 or 3. The average Joe blow isn't shelling out $2.50/GB for storage so I don't think any of the manufacturers are concerned about him.

Personally, I'd rather have them spending their time and money fixing bugs, finding ways to make my drive faster, and making sure it works properly than writing an "How to update firmware for dummies" book.

Yeah, there is a learning curve to SSD's and it can be frustrating at first. If you're buying an SSD, most would be familiar with PC tech such as an .ISO file. You burn the firmware .ISO file to a disk with an operational PC, boot your PC with the SSD attached to the SATA port set to IDE mode in the BIOS and update the firmware. Not sure of the current firmware version?, it'll tell you in the updater before you update. No format, no OS needed on the SSD to update firmware. Good luck.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bootable USB Creator.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
Back