• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Designing/Building Dual/Triple Monitor Stand. Please read!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ibay19

Registered
Hi guys, I am designing (almost done) and plan to build an amazing dual/triple monitor stand out of aluminum. I am disappointed at the offerings available so I decided to design my own and make it (I am a mechanical engineer).

I am still getting in touch with all the suppliers so I am still not 100% sure how much the materials will cost to assemble one, but I am just wondering if there is a demand for great looking and more importantly quality monitor stands?

My current design will be a Dual Stand on which you can easily attach parts to make it a triple monitor stand (or 4, 5, 6, etc..). One reason I want to do this is because I have two monitors now and I bought a dual monitor stand (which is just horrible for $250) and now that I need to upgrade to 3 screens...I can only throw that one away or re-sell it on ebay.

What do you guys think? I will post pictures of the Solid Works 3d model soon and will post pictures of the actual stand once I get all the materials and assemble the first one.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions/suggestions! Thank you all!

:welcome: Good to see another mechanical engineer! Do you plan on using tubing and welding or will milling be involved? I'm unsure what the design looks like from your description. Obviously I'll understand once you render the model.

I'm really not sure of the demand for such an offering. How adjustable is your design? Can it easily take monitors from 19" (4:3) to 30" (16:10)? I think the ability to adjust the stand is rather important if you plan on selling these (unless you will custom make for people). When you say that you can expand the stand for 4+ monitors, you are referring to adding an additional row as well? Once you get over 3 monitors, a second row is really required. How is the stand mounted? Is it just a base or does it attach to the desk?

Sounds like you have an interesting design. Definitely would need more detail to actually give some good feedback.

Out of curiosity, what field are you currently working in? Mechanical engineering is really a broad degree/title.

I'm curious about the mount. Will this apparatus just clamp to a desk or is it freestanding? How adjustable will they be? A 3D model or mockup would be a great help.

Guys I am not by my computer right now, Im writing from my phone. I will design it so it can either be clamped on the desk, bolted to the desk, with a regular stand or with the option to hang it on the wall. I am trying to make this as customizable as possible! Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I will put up the 3d model soon!

Here are some pictures as promised guys. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 200000105-c.JPG
    200000105-c.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,561
  • 200000105-e.JPG
    200000105-e.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 3,016
  • 200000105-g.JPG
    200000105-g.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,894
PS. Instead of mounting the stand with a clamp (as pictured above), you will have the option of getting a regular stand, the ability to drill a 1.5in hole in your desk and mount it that way or to mount it on the wall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

Here's what I posted in the other thread:

Looks good so far. Put some cable routing clips along the arms and down the leg, then you'll be set :D

I like how you alternated the left and right arms' components to make sure the last segments ended up on the same level as the middle arm. You will probably need better support at the table to hold 3 monitors, I doubt the small clamp will do it.

I also think the clamp is a weak mounting design for more than one display. But the model looks good.

Given that the central post supports the full weight of the assembly, you might consider using solid stainless. Even with that I'd go with a larger diameter. If you choose stainless, you'll also need to have some teflon bushings to separate the dissimilar metals.

2009 version.

I am still working with the suppliers so see how much everything will cost, but the more I initially make, the cheaper it will be. I am planning on using the high quality aluminum so it will look very, very sexy.

What do you guys have in mind for the pricing? What would you be willing to pay for this?

All suggestions are appreciated and I will work on the model to add them so the final product is as perfect as it can be!

hafa, i still did no decide on the material to be used for the central post (nor did i finalize the dimensions of it). i will be building a prototype soon and i will be able to mount all of my screen on it, and test out different stands, mounts, clamps, etc...to find the best design for each.

I might offer to sell a high quality beautiful anodized aluminum. Which will cost a little bit more to cover the price of material.

Also I am thinking about making them out of stainless steel.

I would like to hear more ideas from you guys and what you would be willing to pay. It doesn't matter how well built or good looking my stand might be, if the price is wrong, no one will buy it!

Thank you all again! You are all very helpful!

Keep in mind that stainless was suggested due to its much higher torsional stability and strength over that of aluminum, not as an aesthetic suggestion.

Given that decent articulated single arms go for US$65-75, off the top of my head, I'd say that $US250-350 should be a marketable price these days.

Suggestions:

1. During testing of the prototype, you may wish to use weights attached to a plate that has VESA-compliant holes drilled in it rather than using monitors. That way if it cannot hold the weight, you don't risk breaking your monitors.
  2. Design it so that it can be either a desk or a wall mount unit; the versatility will mean better marketability.

Looks pretty nice. I agree with the comments about the clamp and rod diameter. I am somewhat concerned about the side monitors sagging due to the play in any of those joints. You might be fine, but don't skimp on the quality of the connections in those arms; even an average weight monitor will cause a fair amount of moment/torque at the center.

Looking forward to seeing some progress.

Back