• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My ATI 4830 makes more PPD then my e5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

The A3 business finally dropped the production of dual cores enough that i make more points off my ATI GPU then i do the cpu, substantially.
To the point that when my 4890 shows up i'll just turn it off and go dual ATI gpu style.

Didn't think i'd see that happen!

So those of you with dual cores and ATI gpus, try the GPU, you might be surprised how well it works compared to SMP2!

While their point value didn't go up, they did become more worthwhile IMO.
Once GPU3 shows up (when ever that is...) we'll really be in business.

Hehe... yeah, duals are biting it. My stock E8400 makes just over 2k ppd on SMP2... almost not worth it... I have no idea what the points/watt ratio is, but it's probably terrible compared to an i7. :D

My e5200 at 3.2 makes ~1700 now if i don't touch the computer, while the 4830 at 700/1000 makes 2000-2600 while i use the comp...
Of course, the 4830 also draws about three times the power :p

Are you still on SMP, rather then SMP2?

Actually, important question: Are there still A2 WUs available if i can find the SMP files?

The difference is the much lower cpu utilization of the nvidia card. Nearly zero on the 59xx series. A dual core with an ATI card isn't going to make a lot of ppd. You can improve smp production by running the ATI environment variables and removing the affinity lock on the gpu client.

You don't have to find any flies to stop running a3 WUs. Just remove the -advmethods flag. I'm not sure about A2 availability.

I suspect glussier's production varies considerably depending on the WU on the GPU. Mine certainly does.

I thought he meant just the CPU did 3.3, that explains it!

With the SMP2 running i total around 3500 i think, i'll be doing it again come april 4th, then i'll know for sure.

I'm sure his GTX250 is making something around 6000ppd on average, 7000 ppd on the best WUs and 5000 ppd on the worst. He is talking about SMP production only. I just don't think he can average quite 3300 ppd on a C2D. nVidia GPU utilization of the CPU rises significantly on 353 point WUs (the best) and that slows SMP(2) production significantly.

I'm sure his GTX250 is making something around 6000ppd on average, 7000 ppd on the best WUs and 5000 ppd on the worst. He is talking about SMP production only. I just don't think he can average quite 3300 ppd on a C2D. nVidia GPU utilization of the CPU rises significantly on 353 point WUs (the best) and that slows SMP(2) production significantly.

With a 353 the smp production goes down to 2.9kppd.

The gst250s with the shaders @ 1890 do between 5.3 and 7k ppd while folding the A3s. I've seen close to 9k ppd with some 450s which were available a month ago.

Last edited:
Back