• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fans, which way up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phugbox

ok, now that I've fooled you into thinking I'm a complete and total idiot, here's where I turn it all around on you and tell you I'm not, but have the world's most basic question.

Which way does the air flow with a fan, Am I correct in thinking that the label on the fan is usually on the side that air flows away from the fan on. simpler words, label blows, black sucks. Right, or is there no universal standard.

as for why?

i just bought a new case, 55 bucks, I know, generic, CANADIAN dollars, came with a 320W PS, that I won't be using since I've got a 450 enermax. lovely thing allready has an 80 mil on the side, just about where the pro would be, easy ducting, however, it has no other fans in it, other than PS fans, it does however have spots for an 80 mil on the front and an 80 mil on the back. Factory punched grills, so I'm going to have to cut them out for better flow, I know. and it's not too thick, so I'm gonna be putting another fan on top to act as a chimney later.

so this gives me 4 80 mils, two in, two out, but one out with the PS, so lower airflow, thus providing me with slightly positive airflow, as long as my fans are well matched enough. Not an exact science for me.

as for the contents of the thing, I go get the remainder tomorrow, yay me.

help? suggestions?

If the label is facing up the air will blow up, it usually goes in the same direction as the label. If you look carefully at the sides of the fan you should see 2 arrows, 1 indicating the direction of rotation and the other airflow. Most all fans have these arrows.

or you could plug the fan in and see what way it goes. ya, it usually goes toward the label (i have never seen one that dont, but i havent seen every fan in the world)

thanks for the help on that. after a brief check on things in my case, i found that the fan on the side was gonna be pulling air off my CPU which is okay, but there are no other fans in the case other than the PS fan, and it's sucking air out too, so I switched it around, and added one in the back, sucking out, and one in the front, pulling in. but those punch grills gotta go. best way to get rid of them?

yeah, grabbed a stick of 4 AAA's strapped together just to check direction of airflow, and noticed the above mentioned arrows on the fan on the side.

gona have to get a wire grill for the back though

Back