• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling the 400's (Question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Would water cooling the GTX 470 or GTX 480 cut down on power consumption as well as heat?

If so would it be by much?

It would cut down on heat for sure. The only power it would save is from the fan. If you dont already have a pump for a water cooling setup then I would say it probably wouldn't save any power..

Nope, it won't cut down on heat either.
Any cooling system simply moves the heat, the same amount of heat still exists.

The card will be cooler, but that 250-400w of heat is still going into the room.
Power consumption may go down on the card due to no 1.8 amp fan, but pumps draw quite a bit of power also.

Power consumption MIGHT go down a little, but 10% is already a lot. It depends on how much cooler the card is with the new cooling.

The warmer a chip gets, the more leackage will happen. This is, btw. the reason intel integrated the vDroop. Not many people know, though.

HT4U did a test on this last year. They got a 22W difference on a GTX 280 between 60 and 85 °C

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2009/power_consumption_graphics/index9.php

Power consumption MIGHT go down a little, but 10% is already a lot. It depends on how much cooler the card is with the new cooling.

The warmer a chip gets, the more leackage will happen. This is, btw. the reason intel integrated the vDroop. Not many people know, though.

HT4U did a test on this last year. They got a 22W difference on a GTX 280 between 60 and 85 °C

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2009/power_consumption_graphics/index9.php

So, then the voltage spikes going from idle to load have nothing to do w/ Intel's vdroop implementation? If so, that just adds to my argument that there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ using LLC to aid in OCing.

Great post btw!

Intel integrated vdrop, not vdroop. That's how i understand it, at least.

Vdrop is just the difference between the voltage you see in the BIOS (which is just a label) and what shows up in CPU-Z. I don't see how that fits.

Back