• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i7 and Thermalrite 120 Extreme from Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmers

I'm upgrading my computer to an i7 and am wondering if the Thermalrite 120 extreme will fit with the new socket. Can I just buy a new bracket for it, or do I have to buy the new one from Thermalrite. Also are there any issues with it and the Asus boards? Thanks!

lol i did the exact same mate! to repeat what the other guys said u just need a new bracket! Ancient i tink neb is right, the one u posted doesn't seem to have right the bracket, i got the one neb said. U just need that X shaped bit and u can use the stock backplate and old spring screws which u used on ur q6600 and ur set to go. Duno about the one u suggested ancient but doesnt look anything like the one i got when i went to an i7 ;)

Last edited:
lol i did the exact same mate! to repeat what the other guys said u just need a new bracket! Ancient i tink neb is right, the one u posted doesn't seem to have right the bracket, i got the one neb said. U just need that X shaped bit and u can use the stock backplate and old spring screws which u used on ur q6600 and ur set to go. Duno about the one u suggested ancient but doesnt look anything like the one i got when i went to an i7 ;)

You can not use the back plate from the S775. You need the 1366 back plate with the other mounting hardware. The mount Nebulous linked may work but it is for the AXP 140 and is different than the one for the TRUE. The one I linked is the new revised mount for the TRUE and is what comes standard on them now. I replaced the mount on my TRUE with the one I linked to.

Here is a pic of my original TRUE 1366 mount and you can see the difference from the one Nebulous linked.

TRUE mount.jpg

Anyway the new mount with just the two screws is the superior mount and is the one to get.

lol i wasnt talking about the stock 775 backplate but the stock 1366 one XD. I wasnt aware there was a new mount, well i stand corrected, but either way both will work, my point being that the one neb link isn't the wrong one and will work just fine ;) just seems is been updated, Not sure y though as it works works fine, but as they are both the same price go with the newer version i suppose :p

Edit:- looking at the backplate for the one neb linked it does look slightly different as its got a indent in the middle :S although its a 1335 backplate, seems the right shape still though XD. The Pic u posted is exactly the one i got :)

Last edited:
Back