• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PII X6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerix01

I know they have only been out for a few days but is anyone folding on a Phenom II X6 yet? Can they take on the Big Advanced units? I'm getting tired of seeing people in the AMD section wasting these things on benchmarking. Lets see some PPD for the AMD side!

I bet there would do really nice on the A3's. I get 7k+ on a 955be at only 3.5

I am very close to buying some upgrades to my system, mostly to replace my burning up motherboard. I priced $400 for an AM3 MB with 3x PCI-E slots and the 790FX chipset, 4GB DDR3 1333@ 7-7-7-24 (with reviews saying it can do 1600@ 6-6-6-20), and a 2.8GHz Tri core Phenom 2 with the hopes of unlocking a fourth core.

Then they drop the 6 core P2 at $210 @ 2.8GHz. So for $100 more I could get that beauty, but I would need to save up a bit more. So if it doesn't perform well on big advanced units then I might as well stick with the trike for now. But I'm sure it will do just fine and I'll have to deal with the pre purchase anxiety till I have enough money! EEEEEEE!! (sorry I just got off a night shift where I drank way too much coffee)

6 cores doesn't currently qualify for -bigadv. That could change, actually it should change since the i7 only has 4 physical cores and it qualifies, but I've heard nothing about it.

Could some pull the ole switcheroo? Download a bigadv unit on their i7 and move it over to a PIIX6? Or would the client kick it out after it saw it had access to only 6 (real or virtual) cores?

Back in the day I had someone download me a few QMDs so I could try them out on my AMD hardware. So this is a similar concept. :D

They should be able to complete them(if they are allowed to try), at 4ghz a PhII X6 should be on par with a 920@4ghz in many-threaded stuff like FAH.

Don't want to be the Guinea pig

I wanted to buy a i7-920 Then i saw the X61090T Now i want this Chip I don't want to get it home and it can't fold big Advanced units,, still thinking about it. I'm A big AMD fan .... That CPU Ram and motherboard are burning a whole in my pocket

Yeah reading around the folding forum it does indeed look like the client needs to see eight cores before you can download a bigadv. But on the plus side some people are pushing some numbers around based on what the x4 does and they seem to think the x6 with A3 bonus points should get somewhere around 12,000 - 15,000 PPD depending on the clocks.

Has anybody tried an X6 out with A3 WUs? If you assign all 6 cores to an A3 with the '-smp 6' flag (I think), are you seeing higher PPD?

Just speculating here but could you fake 8 cores by running the -smp 8 flag and get a bigadv wu that way? (I know running 8 threads instead of 6 is going to hurt but it'll at least give us an idea)

No. THe client runs core detection and reports what it finds to the AS. The flag doen't affect assignment qualification and as a result you can run -bigadv with -smp 6 or -smp 7 on 8 core machines.

No. THe client runs core detection and reports what it finds to the AS. The flag doen't affect assignment qualification and as a result you can run -bigadv with -smp 6 or -smp 7 on 8 core machines.

Do you have any idea how it detects the number of cores in linux? Solely for testing purposes.

Id bet it looks at /proc/cpuinfo
using cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor you can see how it iterates the processors detected from processor 0 and onwards.

Just speculating here but could you fake 8 cores by running the -smp 8 flag and get a bigadv wu that way? (I know running 8 threads instead of 6 is going to hurt but it'll at least give us an idea)

I was already wondering if a VM could be setup to report 8 cores even though the host has less, sort of like virtual storage provisioning. But I'm not sure if 1: it is possible and 2: if Stanford would oppose that since they built in the rule of 8 or more cores. On the other hand I don't feel it is fair that a four core i7 is allowed to to run a bigadv unit (I'm know, comparing apples to oranges), but once again I'm not going to push their buttons when they built in this rule.

If I get the x6 I will be happy just running the A3's. Given the current Linux kernel issues with the GPU hack I need to dedicate a core to the GPU's. So I would be running -smp 5 anyway and force them on to cores 0-4 and force core 5 for the two GPU clients. If I can get even 10K PPD extra then I will be more than doubling my PPD output.

EDIT: BTW if any one is wondering how to set core affinity in Linux-
Code:
sudo apt-get install schedutils
taskset -c 1 place-command-here

Last edited:
Back