• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd x4 965 black ed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

Is it possible to raise the FSB instead of the multi, if so how. I looking in the bios and could not find anything. Its the black edition. I cant get past 3.7ghz and my temps are great. I keeps crashing...

Last edited:
Look for HTref, or Hyper Transport Reference, or something along those lines.
It'll be set to AUTO right now, and if you hit + on it, it'll go to 200.
I can't imagine your board doesn't have options for it.

If temps (<55C full load, using OCCT, LinX or Prime95) are good then you probably need to add some "CPU Voltage Control" (cpu voltage) and also sometimes a bit of "CPU NB VID Control" (northbridge voltage) can help too.

I downloaded your motherboard manual from here, inside of "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" (page 39, section 2-3) in your bios the "CPU Host Clock Control" is the one to change from default 200Mhz, be sure to lock your "PCIE Clock(MHz)" at 100Mhz. "HT Link Width" should be set to 16bit. Also be sure to keep "HT Link Frequency" <= 2000Mhz (there is no gains to be had above 2000Mhz and can cause instability, I usually keep mine around 1800Mhz).

Also increasing the "CPU Host Clock Control" will increase your Ram speed, careful with this, it can be complicated when you overclock CPU and Ram to determine which is unstable or both. Easiest to find the limit of the CPU using underclocked ram then find the max ram speed by underclocking the processor, then putting them together. Just for reference my 965BE uses 1.4375vcore for 3.8Ghz YMMV.

Last edited:
Ty great info...

I keep getting a memory dump error blue screen and it restarts. Fails prime95 about 20min in. I dont know where to start.

Ty great info...

I keep getting a memory dump error blue screen and it restarts. Fails prime95 about 20min in. I dont know where to start.

Will it pass at stock settings? There has been the rare case I've read of Pirme just erroring even though the computer was stable. Perhaps give LinX or OCCT a try. If it won't pass any of the programs (LinX, OCCT, or Prime95) at stock settings then it is probably either Ram or PSU (doubtful of power supply) issues.

What voltage are you running the CPU at? And what kind of temps are you seeing when stressing it? If you haven't already, try increasing your CPU/NB speed to 2400 or 2600mhz at about 1.25v. But keep your HT link at 2000. Have you manually set your RAM voltage and timings to manufacturer specs?

My best guess for your BSOD problems, assuming you have enough vCore and the load temps are < 55°C, would be the RAM. There have been a few people in the last month or so having issues running G.Skill at 1600, some with problems running it at 1333. Try turning the RAM speed down a notch, and do as Parad0x420 suggested, manually set the RAM specs for the higher speed. This will, hopefully, keep RAM out of the OC equation until you've got a stable CPU OC ... :)

Heres a screen shot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I put my nb up to 2600. It would not boot. I tried raising the cpu voltage and nb voltage keeping the nb at 2600 and it would not boot. 2400 is fine it will boot but wont on 2600.

3.7ghz im stable after 5hrs of prime95. 3.8ghz about 20min

Right now my core voltage is 1.408

Vcore 1 1.41
Vcore 2 1.58

Back