• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide: How to fix error ati display driver has stopped responding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kojiki

Registered
like the tittle implies a fix for the error message that almost all of the ati radeon 5 series owners has been suffering from including myself with my sapphire 5850 Toxic edition card. and ATI/AMD has yet to this date release an actual fix for the problem that works to remove the problem permanetly.

Enviroment Conditions: Windows 7 X64bit

Symptom: screen freezes after a few secounds screen then flashes to a random color then a few secounds after that u recover to the desktop again like nothing happened. and you are greeted with a nice pop up notification bubble on the bottom right of your desktop that says

...."Ati display driver has stopped responding and has recovered from an error".

now u get this error sometimes so bad as every 2 mins when watching a streaming movie online or roughly every 5 mins without fail when trying to browse the web or type a document etc etc. some of u are unlucky enough to have this happen during gaming which i fortunately have not experienced yet. And on a final note not to bash the companys that gave us the fine kit but all these supposed revised drivers or aka xcode drivers didnt do jack to fix the problem like they were suppose to.

THE FIX: <hope this works for all of u, i got my fingers crossed even if it dosent no one cant say i didnt try to help ;-)>

Step one: Reboot into safe mode.
run driver sweeper check the option for ati drivers and click analyze, whatever it finds make sure their all checked and click clean. Then reboot as prompted.

Step two:
reboot back into safe mode.
go to start >
right click my computer>
choose manage> then select device manager from the listing.

select display adapters from the right hand pane. it should read the GPU card installed right click it and choose uninstall. now at this point a box should pop up with a check box. that says "would u like to completely remove the driver" that would be a yes so check the box and click okay. Now their should be no listing for display adapter. That is until u right click on anything listed in the right hand pane and select "scan for new hardware changes" windows 7 will now re-detect your GPU and it will now show as this instead " Standard VGA adapter" instead of saying HD5850 etc.

Step three: close out of Device mangler and install your cat 10.3 drivers or whatever the newest one might be. after the install finishes reboot your rig as prompted and this time boot normally we will N0T be going back into safe mode. And thats it their should be No more display driver has stopped responding errors in windows 7 x64.

this worked for me. i just stumbled upon this fix in the midst of my frustration and hoped it would work and it did. this has been recommended by other people but has not been presented with any real clarity for the not so computer savy.

***UPDATE*** for some reason if u just run driver sweeper in windows 7 when not in safe mode when u go to remove the ati drivers and u reinstall like normal it does not resolve the problem. i forgot to add this tidbit before but i speculate that the built in windows 7 driver for the ati cards was causing a driver conflict with the cat 10.3 drivers in essence by going into safe mode and removing the cat 10.3 drivers and rebooting then going in and removing the default windows 7 ati driver seemed to fix the issue. So far i have not experienced the display driver error or screen freezes ever since i did this. once again good luck and if this works for you to. spread this post all over the internet cause theirs an F-Ton of 5 series owners with this issue lol.

Last edited:
I had this problem with my 4890. Constantly crashing when gaming. Turns out to be a bad OC :/ had to increase my cpu voltage and it was stable.

i dont think its the voltage that wouldn't make sense for this error cause if it was hardware related the issue would continue even with drivers uninstalled but each persons scenario and hardware config is diffrent so who knows for sure.

the issue described in my first post never occurs with drivers uninstalled. and with drivers installed (cat 10.3) the card can pass any 3D stress testing with no errors/artifact etc. theirs defiantly something in windows 7 that these drivers are not being correctly written for by default cause i get the issue happening again when i upgraded to the new cat 10.4 drivers im really lost on this one here i even have done a fresh install of windows 7 x64 ultimate and still didnt fix the issue.

***UPDATE*** i just upgraded to the new 10.4 drivers again trying it again and on top of that. I went ahead and took your voltage point to heart (WarrenG) and decided to hit up my bios and slightly increase the voltage on my overclocked phenom 920 just for the heck of it. so far i got to admit the system has been stable with none of the issues described above wich is weird cause the system was stable before well my OC was, i never would of thought my OC might have been just slightly underpowered Vcore wise. sometimes all i can do i throw my hands up in defeat and keep trying till i get it right, but the bright side is at least i keep learning great things from this community. And i apologize if this wasn't the best guide on fixing a particular problem it has been abit of a learning experience for me so if the moderator wants to remove this thread its cool by me i know it wasnt the most informative.

CPU>Phenom 920 OC 3.7GHZ 1.4vcore before it was 1.372 because of v droop.

Last edited:
like the tittle implies a fix for the error message that almost all of the ati radeon 5 series owners has been suffering from including myself with my sapphire 5850 Toxic edition card. and ATI/AMD has yet to this date release an actual fix for the problem that works to remove the problem permanetly.

Hi Kojiki,

I Booted my pc last week, I think I got everything back to how it was. but i got a new game AvP and been playing it online but it's started to crash and pop-up with
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

I'v been trying to fix it for days now and cant find anyone with this crappy Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT that has the some problem.

I don't know too much about pc but i'm getting to know them more every time i run into something like this. Am I in the right place, maybe you can point me in the right way?

Please help! anyone!!!!!

:bang head

give us a few ideas on ur system and what windows you have. also have you run any software to check the temps on your GPU? Whens the last time you cleaned your computer?

I had a similar problem with my crossfire 4890's, turns out the FSB needed more voltage because of the extra strain and I was overclocking.

give us a few ideas on ur system and what windows you have. also have you run any software to check the temps on your GPU? Whens the last time you cleaned your computer?

OS: Vista 32bit Display Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT RAM: 2.00Gb Processors: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

I booted my pc like 3 weeks ago now (wishing i hadn't) thought i had it updated to max and whatnot but i used to have GTA IV on this pc and it ran fine before, sometimes it would do the same thing as it's doing now for AvP but no way as much and only because guy would blow you up a million times and had mods on it.

iv tried so hard to get this fixed with my nohow on pc what is not the best.

can someone tell me what amdkmdap is as well because it's saying thats the problem!

and i will run the a temp to see what it's saying! =)

now i cant open my Catalyst Control Center............
this is getting me so fed up
is there a to check your pc temp with with out useing the CCC?

sorry i haven't responded in forever battleforge has consumed my time for the most part lol other than working in this crazy heat wave. the link i posted about the CCC profile for changing your clock speeds worked fine for me and havent had any "driver not responding issues"

yes but mine is when i play a game, i can watch streaming videos online and what-not. it seems to only happen when i play avp, and it used to do it with gta but not often.

do you think it's time for me to get a new video card as mine seems to be old now? ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

I started getting this problem a few days ago with my ATI HD6970. I tried every solution I could think of/find on all the forums that mentioned it. Nothing worked.

I found my solution though.
I usually ran my PC with 2x24" Viewsonic HD LCD monitors...I sold them, and ordered 2 IPS monitors.

Between the time I sold the old monitors, and receiving the new ones, I was planning on using my TV via the DVI -> HDMI. This is when the crashes and lockups started occuring.

I installed the latest ATI drivers, I rolled back drivers, I installed drivers from the install CD only...I even did a fresh install of Win7-64, and only installed the ATI drivers, every time Windows loaded, and I tried to do anything, I would get:

"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
Looking on different forums I've seen this has been a plague for many for a while, but only started happening to me recently. The only change was I was running 1 monitor instead of my usual 2.

I took my 6970 out last night and was using my older 4870x2, no problems...I put my 6970 in again today, and booted up with a single monitor, the problem resurfaced.
I connected up a second display for testing purposes, and haven't had a problem since.

Must say this is the weirdest solution I have ever come across, but hey, it's working for me!

I was having the same issue and fixed it.

I have an Asus EAH6850 DirectCU.

I started having the "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." right after I started using MSI Afterburner. I initially thought the problem was the software, then my overclock setting but I had my doubt.

Turned out my problem was that I did not disabled AMD Overdrive in my CCC control Panel and it was conflicting (obviously...my bad!) with MSI AB, so I had 2 different apps fiddling with my card bios at the same - not good.

I disabled AMD Overdrive and did not have the display driver error once since then... Maybe worth a look if you guys are using a different app to set your overclock setting...

Cheers.

I was having the same issue and fixed it.

I have an Asus EAH6850 DirectCU.

I started having the "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." right after I started using MSI Afterburner. I initially thought the problem was the software, then my overclock setting but I had my doubt.

Turned out my problem was that I did not disabled AMD Overdrive in my CCC control Panel and it was conflicting (obviously...my bad!) with MSI AB, so I had 2 different apps fiddling with my card bios at the same - not good.

I disabled AMD Overdrive and did not have the display driver error once since then... Maybe worth a look if you guys are using a different app to set your overclock setting...

Cheers.

I don't use Overdrive, or any apps that overclock my PC/GPU.

This error appears when there where two memory modules in my PC. (2x2GB)
When i remove one of them - error disappears.
So i just remove 2x2GB modules and install 1 4GB memory module instead. This leads to error fix.
Maybe this info will be usefull for someone.

Ok, just my 2 cents...:
That is an error I get everytime I OC the ram too high (either freq or latency).
It looks like it has more to do with the ram than with the graphic card setup...

Back