• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new pc; looking for advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cityofglass88

Registered
It has been right at 4 years since my last build. My last PC has gotten me through college and I have decided to build myself a new PC before grad-school. I have done a fair amount of research into the components I have selected, but want some additional opinions before I make the purchase.

My goal:
I do a fair amount of gaming, but certainly not hardcore. Mainly FPS and RTS. My two big ones at the moment are Left for Dead 2 and Team Fortress. I am hoping to build a system that can 1. Handle anything I throw at it, 2. provide upgrade opportunities, and 3. be a reliable system to overclock and have fun. I built a budget system and it lasted me 4 solid years, hoping to get more out of this one.

Parts list :
Motherboard : ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
CPU : AMD x6 1090T 3.2 ghz
Ram : (2x) G.Skill Ripjaws PC3 16000 2 GB
GPU : ASUS ATI 5970
HDD : (2x) WD 640GB 7200 SATA3 in Raid 0
PSU : Hec xp 1080W modular
ODD : Pioneer 12x BD-R
Case : Corsair 800D

Water Cooling :
Radiator : Swiftech MCR320 Stackable triple 120mm
Pump : Swiftech MCP355
Reservoir : Bitspower Z-Multi 80
CPU Block : Swiftech XT with AMD adapter
GPU Block : Swiftech Epsilon

So guys, any input, comments, or suggestions?

A few questions.
1. I am going to overclock, but am not looking to hit insane figures. Is the additional costs of the Crosshair worth the OC ease?
2. Is 4 gigs of ram really enough?

:welcome: to Overclocker, Nice rig your putting together, As far as the Motherboard, Do you really need it, Probably not, It does however look like a great board and one of our members is running it through it's paces right now with a 1090T.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642099

As far as the memory, Sounds like getting 2x2gigs is fine for now, You can always add a couple of sticks later if you feel the need. Nice choice on the Ram btw.

I would seriously consider ditching the HEC PSU, You can do much better in the quality dept and I don't believe you need 1000 watts. IMO something like this would do well for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

Build looks great, definitely follow Scott and ditch the HEC unit for the Corsair.. There's nothing worse than skimping on a PSU.. you NEED something to safely and cleanly provide steady power to your system. 4 GB of RAM should be enough, but some people need a little more. Have you considered an SSD for an OS and couple game drive? The 30 second boot and instant program loads will have you drooling at your monitor. :D

Yeah, I have been leery of that PSU. Have been digging around forums looking for reviews and was worried how few I could find. I definitely know that the 1kw is over kill. I know that 800 or is is plenty.

And onesty that board has thrown off my whole color scheme I have always used through my builds and the ones I sell. I am such a fan of a few blue accents against chrome and black, the Crosshair threw a wrench in it.

As for as SSD goes, it has crossed my mind. It was one of the first mods I did to my asus netbook and loved the battery savings. My issue was cost versus doing the raid setup. I have read so many horrid reviews about reliability of sub $300 SSDs. Is there really that much of a difference between a SSD and doing 7200rpms in raid 0?

I would suggest going over to Johnny Guru's site for reviews and info on power supplies. One of our members, Oklahoma Wolf does the reviews and does a really nice job. He really test's the power supplies vs some sites that just plug them into a system and if it doesn't blow up it get's good marks.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

I'm like you in regard to SSD's, I just am not convinced the bang for buck is there yet, I guess I'm just not the impatient that I can't wait an additional second or two for something to load. Once they become more main stream and the cost per gb comes down I will likely make the jump.

As far as the color scheme on the motherboard, Gigabyte sounds like your cup of tea, They have some very nice Motherboards that will do quite well for you as well if you decide against the Crosshair

So, after some further consideration I have decided to swap my MB to the MSI 890fxa-gd70. Has overclocking changed much for the newer boards?

And am not considering a pair of Dominator PC3 12800 with a latency of 7.

Back