• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstalling OS & my SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I wish to reinstall Windows 7 (64-bit) on my Corsair P128 SSD (for the first time) and would like to know a couple of things:

1. What's the best way to reinstall Windows 7 on an SSD without causing additional wear-and-tear on the drive?

2. What's the best way to securley wipe the drive in the process (if needed)?

3. What's the best way to format the SSD after reinstalling Windows 7 for best performance?

if you have been using xp I would reformat the drive within windows during the install, it will get it aligned correctly and should improve performance. Once done formatting just do your thing it should all be fine.

1. Just install it.
2. Secure Erase.
3. You wouldnt want to format the drive after installing windows as you would wipe out hte install.

Just run secure erase, then install W7, do not format it and it will align itself properly.

1. Just install it.
2. Secure Erase.
3. You wouldnt want to format the drive after installing windows as you would wipe out hte install.

Just run secure erase, then install W7, do not format it and it will align itself properly.

Oh wait...how do you run secure erase? I read the following and it seems more resonable:

"Formatting the drive (not quick format, but regular) is as good an erase as any. A 'secure' erase usually concerns HDD's and it means resetting the sectors a number of times with different values to deter any data recovery. It's all a matter of privacy. Regarding SSD performance, no erase will help, be it secure or not. SSD's have a wear leveling algorithm that is responsible for extending disk life, and also for performance deterioration, and that cannot be reset. All you'll achieve with an erase is shortening the life of the SSD by 2-4 write cycles for a format, or 6+ for a "secure" erase, of the total of (advertised) 100,000. So, if privacy is not the issue, go with a quick format and save the effort. "

Back