• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 D0 vs i7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augie1111

OK, so there's the question and if I go D0 less($300/350) I save $50 but what do I lose in possible performance? Everyone here seems to have a D0 so there must be a method to their folding madness.;) What would I get with a D0 w/Corsair D-50 cooling vs. a regular one. I don't mind shelling out an extra $50 over a $1K purchase if it's worth it, just curious.:)

Thanks as always folks!:soda:

You lose nothing as far as performance goes in anything.

The D0 stepping seems to allow similar overclocks, if not a bit more, with less voltage is all. I cant believe wherever you are getting this from is charging more for a specific stepping...go to newegg.ca and get one there.

If you're spending that much money, just have someone here from Fry's pick up up a board/cpu combo for $320 and sell the board. i7 930

At least, that's what I'd do.

You lose nothing as far as performance goes in anything.

The D0 stepping seems to allow similar overclocks, if not a bit more, with less voltage is all. I cant believe wherever you are getting this from is charging more for a specific stepping...go to newegg.ca and get one there.

Thanks for the response. The price difference is between Ncix $320/350 and Direct Canada $300 and newegg $290 and they don't even stock the D0. Heck a 930@ 2.8GHz is the same price as a 920! Anyways, last I looked at newegg, they didn't accept Paypal e-checks.

EDIT: They still don't accept e-checks or money orders. The pox on them!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. The price difference is between Ncix $320/350 and Direct Canada $300 and newegg $290 and they don't even stock the D0. Heck a 930@ 2.8GHz is the same price as a 920! Anyways, last I looked at newegg, they didn't accept Paypal e-checks.

EDIT: They still don't accept e-checks or money orders. The pox on them!

Get someone to run to Frys and pickup the combo, send them paypal payment, have them ship it to you as a gift. ;)

Yeah Augie theoretically you could have someone go to Microcenter and P/U $199 I7 930.
and then just charge you $199 plus shipping that to Quebec. You should do it via PM since we can only buy and sell in the Classies.
and always someone you can trust (Like CW;))

As far as the DO stepping that's all they seem to have at MC.

Jeez @ the US cost!:eek: Plus we can buy a US buck for $0.96 like when I bought my quad 3 years ago, at least then the prices were comparable. I wonder what changed to have such a price variance?:confused: I will definitely check 'things' out.

Thanks all.:)

Jeez @ the US cost!:eek: Plus we can buy a US buck for $0.96 like when I bought my quad 3 years ago, at least then the prices were comparable. I wonder what changed to have such a price variance?:confused: I will definitely check 'things' out.

Thanks all.:)

You can't use Microcenter prices to compare Canadian pricing to USA. Microcenter sells the 920 a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Look at Sohodiffusion.com, they are based in Montreal and sell the i920 D0@289,00$ and the other steppings@ 279,00$. If you don't care about the D0, you can get an i7 920 for 269,00$ @ ordicentre.com also based in Montreal.

You can't use Microcenter prices to compare Canadian pricing to USA. Microcenter sells the 920 a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Look at Sohodiffusion.com, they are based in Montreal and sell the i920 D0@289,00$ and the other steppings@ 279,00$. If you don't care about the D0, you can get an i7 920 for 269,00$ @ ordicentre.com also based in Montreal.

Thanks for the local sellers, I used to often go to the ordicentre in Gfld. Park as I lived there some 7 years ago. It's still a better price than those I mentioned even if one adds the %7.5 sales tax here.

Yeah that I7 930 is definitely a starter item to get you in the door...I know it works on me...One I7 and a bunch of other crap I wasn't looking for!:(:)

Yeah that I7 930 is definitely a starter item to get you in the door...I know it works on me...One I7 and a bunch of other crap I wasn't looking for!:(:)

Erm, now you're scaring me!:santa: I checked other sites and the prices are very close indeed between us and the states, it's just MC that breaks everything about pricing for the i7 920/930. Memory and other CPUs are comparable to our prices. A loss leader? :confused:

Erm, now you're scaring me!:santa: I checked other sites and the prices are very close indeed between us and the states, it's just MC that breaks everything about pricing for the i7 920/930. Memory and other CPUs are comparable to our prices. A loss leader? :confused:

Exactly, they put the Prime rib on sale to get rid of their dog food! Actually their prices for all their CPU's are sweet.

Back