• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to adjust CPU-NB voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i4play

Guys,

I am new to this board. But have been here quite often to read up on info relevant for my first OC attempt.
I have a very specific question as I have struck a dead end and can't seem to find the exact answer anywhere.

To get my OC Prime95 stable I was advised to increase the CPU-NB voltage.
This led to a very confusing conversation for me, and in the end I realised CPU-NB voltage is something different then NB voltage.

So with this new knowledge I went back to my BIOS and searched for the option to change the CPU-NB voltage. Can't find it?
img00033201005220517.jpg

In my BIOS (P 1.50) I can see only a "NB voltage" setting which I can adjust. However, in the BIOS the info in the top righthand corner states: "Adjust processor built-in northbridge voltage"

This reads to me as if this actually IS the CPU-NB voltage, although it is just called NB voltage in the BIOS.
Can anyone help me with this please?

I had a look at AOD, although I OC through the BIOS, to see if I could find a CPU-NB voltage option there. In AOD the NB vid voltage reads the same
voltage-amount as the NB voltage in BIOS (1,250v)

aodiz.jpg

Could any of you tell me where I should look at when trying to up the CPU-NB voltage? It's confusing for me now. Sorry if this is a real n00b answer.

system specs:

CPU: Phenom II X3 720BE @ 3,4
Motherboard:ASRock A780GXH/128M
Memory: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5D
Graphics Card: HD 4870
Hard Drive: Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD103SI, 1TB
Case: Coolermaster Sileo 500
CPU cooling: Thermalright Ultra 120-extreme Rev.C
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T240HD

:welcome: to OCF!

That seems like the cpuNB voltage to me - especially if your BIOS "hint" is telling you that.

What kind of load core temp are you getting right now? If you're still well under 55°C then you can increase your vCore to 1.45 without a problem. You can increase your cpuNB voltage if you want but that usually isn't needed above the 1.25v you have now.

You may also need to manually set your RAM voltage ...

:welcome: to OCF!

That seems like the cpuNB voltage to me - especially if your BIOS "hint" is telling you that.

What kind of load core temp are you getting right now? If you're still well under 55°C then you can increase your vCore to 1.45 without a problem. You can increase your cpuNB voltage if you want but that usually isn't needed above the 1.25v you have now.

You may also need to manually set your RAM voltage ...

Thanks QuietIce.

Thought that would be the right setting in my BIOS, although it's confusingly called "NB voltage" instead of "CPU-NB voltage".

My load core temps are o.k. I think (45C load and 33C idle )
The DRAM voltage is at 2,1 (adviced settings by manufacturer for my RAM: 2,1v / 5-5-5-15 / 2T)

Thanks for your answer once again!

That's the one. It's the same in my bios. Confusing to say the least but the key phrase is "processor built-in NB". The other NB which mainly serves to give the onboard video function is a separate chip on the mobo and would be referenced in an entirely different section of the bios.

Back