• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which memory to buy ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well lets compare them side by side.
G.Skill 1600mhz, OCZ 2000mhz
G.Skill 8-8-8-24, OCZ 10-10-10-30
G.Skill 1.6V, OCZ 1.65V
( I find it funny it says OCZ DDR3 PC3-16000 Gold Low-Voltage Triple Channel when 1.65V is like the max voltage for DDR3, my G.Skill ECO's run at 1.25V @ 1600mhz now thats LOW).

I used both sets of ram and I was happier with my G.Skills, also Ripjaw just sounds badass doesn't it? But lets get "technical". While the Ripjaws run slower than the OCZ, the OCZ takes slighlty more voltage (no biggy) but the timings are much higher. You might lose in timings what you'd gain in Mhz. Now if your going for a big OC you may not care, this means you can keep your ram ratio up high to your Bclk. I think you see a difference in timings before you see a different in Mhz though. I don't notice going from 1333mhz to 1600mhz on my G.Skill set (8-8-8-24). But I can notice when my ram timings get loose and sloppy.

+1 G.Skill (their often cheaper too!)

Also not to be nit picky but it does influence MY decisions. Notice when you follow G.Skills link it has a easily to read layout of their product, all the information, even tells you compatible platforms, etc? I'm kind of anal when it comes to how people "present" themselves, and it usually reflects a product too. Why I hate shopping at sites where navigation is like pulling teeth hah.

Since Intel does not officially support higher than 1333MHz, keep in mind that lower timings is probably preferred over higher frequencies (UNLESS) your i5's IMC has no problems keeping up.

Mine is weak, and therefore having 2000MHz that can only be run at under 1600MHz comfortably is definitely something to consider.

Maybe look at some 1600MHz cl6s, but definitely go with lower timings over higher speeds unless you already know for a fact that you will have no problems.

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=186

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147 1052429371 1052526967&name=6

Back