• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A word to the wise...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
There's a folder in the Windows directory. It's called Temp. It holds half of the programs you install, and a bunch of other important crap. Like the wallpaper...

Oh, and your start menu. I can't use the computer now cause i was cleaning out "junk" trying to free up space on my SSD, and i deleted the wrong folder :bang head

I'll see ya guys later! Reinstalling, as i don't feel like going through all the crap that i'd have to to rebuild this. (I typed my key in today too... )

You can safely deleted the c:\windows\temp and tmp contents as well. Nothing really important is in there by default, sure if you save an IE picture in IE as your desktop wallpaper it might store it in the temp folder, but thats the only time your desktop background should be in there lol.

You can also cleanout c:\windows\prefetch safely as well no matter what windows it is, whatever was there rebuilds the indexes like before, cept this time its a clean slate and any chance of viruses being stored in those prefetch files are now all gone. Which I have seen a couple times working on customer PC's

Back