• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do Windows 10 interface actions have a built in delay to respond?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

So I put together my new system a while back, and used Windows 10 since the hardware is so new. Overall, aside from many annoying elements to Windows 10 that make it somewhat of an abomination, things have been working very well and I'm very happy with the new system. However, there is one element to Windows 10 that while not a deal-breaker (yet, only because I'm too preoccupied at the moment), I find infinitely frustrating: the extreme non-snappiness of response to user input when opening up elements of the interface.

Example: Right clicking somewhere to bring up a menu, such as the desktop or in a folder. There's like this intentionally set fraction of a second delay which is completely unnecessary. Even worse is if I try opening a folder. It doesn't matter if it's off a 2 GB/s SSD or HDD. There's a 1-3 second delay.

EVERYTHING IN THE INTERFACE IS LITERALLY SEVERAL TIMES SLOWER TO RESPOND THAN MY OLD SYSTEM WITH XP. In fact, what I enjoyed most about big hardware upgrades back in the day was specifically that everything would respond instantly. At this level of hardware performance there's no excuse for UI elements not to respond instantly. And when you're doing dozens of operations per minute on the interface these frustrations add up a LOT!

It's so retarded, because I'll be running multiple games, ****loads of browser windows, a video open, discord chat, mp3 player, and have a bunch of other **** running in the background. And everything's gravy. But HOW DARE I ASK FOR INTERFACE ACTIONS THAT RESPOND INSTANTLY. THAT'S GOING TOO FAR!:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

There is something about your configuration. The example of right clicking on desktop is instant for me, on all my Win10 systems. I turn off much of the eye candy for that reason. Sometimes things added to the context menu slows it down. You'll have to eliminate things a step a time.

My experience with Windows 10 (and Windows 8) is that it is noticeably snappier than Windows 7. You have something wrong with your system I think.

My experience with Windows 10 (and Windows 8) is that it is noticeably snappier than Windows 7. You have something wrong with your system I think.

Aero (W7) "fades" windows open and closed. That effect makes it look like the window is slow to respond. Turning it off brings back the snappiness ("adjust for best performance"). Doesn't change a thing but the visual effects so it looks faster. LOL

I never used aero in Windows 7. Windows 8 and 10 are just snappier. Almost everyone noticed that when the two new boys came out.

You disabled it? Aero was on by default in w7 afaik...

Anyway, if its too slow, change the appearance settings as alaric mentioned.

Back