• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent Fans or Speed Controlled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheBastard

Registered
As the title suggests, I am wondering which would be the better route.

This will be for a water cooled system. I want the high power of the fans, but I want this computer to be a silent option. I was thinking high powered fans with a fan controller, but will that be silent enough and still be able to cool my rad during light use?

Also was wondering if you had suggestions for fans or controllers.

Thanks

I would go with some beast fans on a fan controller, it gives you more options when you need them.

San Ace 9G1212H101 (closed corners) or 9G1212H1011 (open corners) are great fans. I have 2 on my VX running at 7v and I can hardly hear them, and that's on an open bench about 2ft away from me :D

I hear good things about Lamptron's fan controllers, which one to get depends on how many fans, their voltage/amps, and the controller's wattage per channel rating.

snip

I hear good things about Lamptron's fan controllers, which one to get depends on how many fans, their voltage/amps, and the controller's wattage per channel rating.

and the level of sexy you want to attain :D

I'd like to second the lamptron recommendation though, high quality stuff. That said, low speed fans are pretty much uniformly cheaper than high speed fans, so if you don't need it, don't spend the money. If you're just gettin one, then you're good for the high speed, its not a ton of money more, but if you're outfitting an entire radiator or something, you can easily spend over $50 on fans. So, depends on your usage...generally though, high speed.

you should be good at 1 per channel on the san aces, 2 would probably work assuming there's no inefficiency jump as you back off the voltage, 3 is a no go

Back