• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing ATI Nvidia cards on a motherboard okay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

junkymagi

I have a GTX 260 and a HD 5770. Motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3. I'm not wanting to crossfire to SLI but I do want to run both video cards so I can run multiple monitors. Can I put the above cards in together or do I have to get another 260 or 5770?

Needing to know if there would be any issues with the video card drivers. I searched but couldn't find any threads about this type of mixing of video cards.

I don't think you can do that, what you could do is use one card as a GPU and one as a PhysX card, but you'd need hacked drivers for that.

Windows 7 allows for two different video drivers to be installed so i imagine it would work... only one way to find out!!

I'm sure it can be done with Win7, you'll just have to play with the video card drivers as sandyduff stated.

Me thinks you'll have to assign which video card is master/slave ( if that's even possible).

All jokes aside now, I'm pretty positive that you can use them together since ATI lets you use an Nvidia card as a physx card.

Everyone is wrong. You can run both of these cards together but your motherboard doesn't support it. The only motherboard that supports mixing cards is the MSI Big Bang Fuzion and oddly enough I own one. On this Motherboard you can mix ati 4xxx and 5xxx with Nvidia cards. http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&prod_no=1979 here is more info on it. I have a 5770 but no nvidia card on it but people say you get good score increases. The only problem is you can't do dx11 with a gtx 260. But otherwise it overclocks amazingly and don't have problems with the board itself.

You can do this :)

I've done it in the past. Like, the long ago past.

You can't crossfire it, or run it in SLI (SliFire?), but you can use both cards if you just want to run two monitors.

I don't know. For some reason I always had trouble getting both ATI and nVidia to play together in one machine for dual monitor purposes for my customers.

I get both of them fighting over who is the primary display adapter. Eventually, we end up with just one brand of video cards.

Never said it was easy ;)

I don't remember the exact process, but it was done under Windows XP. I think 7 might handle it a bit better. (I'd hope)

Everyone is wrong. You can run both of these cards together but your motherboard doesn't support it. The only motherboard that supports mixing cards is the MSI Big Bang Fuzion and oddly enough I own one. On this Motherboard you can mix ati 4xxx and 5xxx with Nvidia cards. http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&prod_no=1979 here is more info on it. I have a 5770 but no nvidia card on it but people say you get good score increases. The only problem is you can't do dx11 with a gtx 260. But otherwise it overclocks amazingly and don't have problems with the board itself.

You're talking about the combined sli/crossfire. Dual video cards work in xp or win 7, not in vista.

Hacked drivers would be needed to have physx otherwise you are good to go.

Back