• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make a extra fan mount in the top panel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elloco999

Hi all,

I have a Antec P180 case and I want to mount a extra 140mm fan in the top panel to get rid of some exces heat. What would be the best way to make the hole for the fan? My biggest issue is with the double layers of the panel, metal on the inside, plastic on the outside.

Rick

5.5 inch hole saw. You can run the drill backwards while you're cutting through the plastic, this melts its way through and leaves a cleaner cut (or at least it does on vinyl siding).

^^ agreed. If it was a single layer, I would say dremel, but with dual layers, you won't want to have offset holes. Spring for a hole saw and just drive through.

And maybe a good drill (or a couple old ones)*. These hole saws take a lot of torque to go through steel.
Find a way to hold the case (or top if you can remove it) very securely before you start.

*This assumes that you dont have access to a drill press.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was thinking about a holesaw myself, but I would need a rather large one and those don't come cheap... I wasn't planning on spending €80 to buy something I'm only gonna use for drilling one or two holes.

I have borrowed a dremel from my father-in-law, but it comes with so many bits I'm not sure which to use.

Rick

Back