• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$700 build - Buying it tonight possibly.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JSK100

Registered
Last edited:
If you can chug out $30 more, I would go with a GTX460. It just came out recently, and it's the best bang for your buck. SLI'ed, they beat the GTX480 and come close to a 5970.

EDIT 1: If your using the stock cooler, then get DDR3 1333 to make up the cost. I don't think you can overclock far enough on the stock cooler for memory to restrict it. But, I haven't OC'ed AMD, so I might be wrong.

EDIT 2:The 460 smashes the 5770: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/293259-33-5770-benchmarks

EDIT 3: This hard drive is the same price with a $10 promo code: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ion=1TB HDD&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=20 . Plus, the one you're getting seems to have a lot of DOA's.

Last edited:
ANYONE!!?"!!!?!!

I don't like the motherboard chipset or the video card. Cases are subjective and I know your on a budget so no comment there.

I can't recommend anything less than an 890fx chipset or a 58XX card.

I'd swap the oversized PSU and overpriced mobo for a better graphics card, assuming this is a gaming rig.

If you can chug out $30 more, I would go with a GTX460. It just came out recently, and it's the best bang for your buck. SLI'ed, they beat the GTX480 and come close to a 5970.

If your using the stock cooler, then get DDR3 1333 to make up the cost. I don't think you can overclock far enough on the stock cooler for memory to restrict it. But, I haven't OC'ed AMD, so I might be wrong.

It's $60 more and I don't have that kind of money for it. And I'm not planning on overclocking.

It's $60 more and I don't have that kind of money for it. And I'm not planning on overclocking.

What are you using this rig for? If gaming, which games? If something else, what? Do you already own a retail copy of Windows?

The 1GB version is 230. There's also a 768MB version that's $199. And you can probably get some of that back with 1333Mhz memory, there isn't any difference in real-world performance.

EDIT 1: If your using the stock cooler, then get DDR3 1333 to make up the cost. I don't think you can overclock far enough on the stock cooler for memory to restrict it. But, I haven't OC'ed AMD, so I might be wrong.

EDIT 2:The 460 smashes the 5770: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/293259-33-5770-benchmarks

EDIT 3: This hard drive is the same price with a $10 promo code: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ion=1TB HDD&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=20 . Plus, the one you're getting seems to have a lot of DOA's.

What are you using this rig for? If gaming, which games? If something else, what? Do you already own a retail copy of Windows?

I'll be using it for some gaming, video editing, etc, etc. My brother owns a copy he got with his laptop so I think I'll be able to use that.

Thanks.

RE: xokeman's build, looks OK, except the 5830 isn't worth $200. For the same money, The GTX 460 beats it in almost every game.

My brother owns a copy he got with his laptop so I think I'll be able to use that.

That copy is only licensed for his laptop, you'll need to buy your own.

RE: xokeman's build, looks OK, except the 5830 isn't worth $200. For the same money, The GTX 460 beats it in almost every game.

That copy is only licensed for his laptop, you'll need to buy your own.

I'm getting the 5770 for 160...so... Is the motherboard good? It has an onboard chipset which I don't need?....

The 5770 should be able to play most of today's games, it might need an upgrade in a year or so. However, I believe that by then the Radeon 6000 series will be out. The 460 786MB is worth it, but it's your choice. The 1GB is actually the best value, but at $70 more then the 5770, it might not be worth it for you.

Back