• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI vs DVI (Refresh Rates Drop)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techglider

Registered
I know most of the basics on these two connections.

I am wondering which is better for gaming (in my case).

I read both support pretty much the same quality (1080p) where as HDMI obviously supports sound also.

But when switching from DVI to HDMI my Refresh rate options drop from 60hz on DVI down to 50hz on HDMI.

Should I stick with DVI at 60hz since I am using headphones 90% of the time anyways?

That's odd. Is your HDTV a European model? 1080P/50Hz is the European HDTV standard, where it's 1080P/60Hz in the USA.

Both of my PC's that connect to my NAD T175HD Preamp (and then to the HDTV) gladly spit out 1080P/60Hz over HDMI (one PC has ATI, and one PC has Nvidia).

:cool:

That's odd. Is your HDTV a European model? 1080P/50Hz is the European HDTV standard, where it's 1080P/60Hz in the USA.

Both of my PC's that connect to my NAD T175HD Preamp (and then to the HDTV) gladly spit out 1080P/60Hz over HDMI (one PC has ATI, and one PC has Nvidia).

I don't believe so..

Here is the exact link it was purchased from.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009179

The HDMI converts into MINI HDMI to the VGA. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it?

I believe the video transfer capability of HDMI and (dual link) DVI are identical as there are passive converters (ie converters that just connect one wire to the next)from hdmi to dvi and back again.

The HDMI converts into MINI HDMI to the VGA. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it?

Did you mean to type "VGA" there? If so, that might be part of the problem but I don't know VGA's limitations TBH. 1080P/50Hz is indeed a European HDTV standard, but beyond that I don't know why you are getting that rate. Do you have the correct drivers installed for the DISPLAY?

I believe the video transfer capability of HDMI and (dual link) DVI are identical as there are passive converters (ie converters that just connect one wire to the next)from hdmi to dvi and back again.
HDMI 1.3 currently tops out at 1080P/60Hz, and can not fully utilize Dual-Link DVI's bandwidth. I think the recent HDMI 1.4 spec closes the gap since it will do 1080P/120Hz for 3D and also supports 4K/60P resolutions IIRC.

Did you mean to type "VGA" there? If so, that might be part of the problem but I don't know VGA's limitations TBH. 1080P/50Hz is indeed a European HDTV standard, but beyond that I don't know why you are getting that rate. Do you have the correct drivers installed for the DISPLAY?

HDMI 1.3 currently tops out at 1080P/60Hz, and can not fully utilize Dual-Link DVI's bandwidth. I think the recent HDMI 1.4 spec closes the gap since it will do 1080P/120Hz for 3D and also supports 4K/60P resolutions IIRC.

Yes, the mini HDMI input in on the graphics card i have referring to (VGA).

VGA Card I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130555

The graphics card came with the HDMI to MINI HDMI cord. The HDMI is connected to the monitor and the MINI end is connected into the VGA MINI HDMI port.

I checked options out within the card and its stuck at 50hz but when i switch it to the DVI, pops right back to 60hz, I even tried disabling the sound on the hdmi hoping it would unlock the hz but it didn't.

You could try a dvi to hdmi adapter to see if there actually is a difference. I would always use a sound card myself anyways.

Last edited:
I have an AGP ATi 3650 dual DVI w/dual link and I just put a passive, plug on, DVI to HDMI adapter and fed it to my 1080p LCD with the sound from the LCD TV feeding to my analog sound system and the sound works fine. Don't know if that answers any questions you had. The point being that the digital sound signals are in the dual link DVI output in order for this to work with a passive HDMI adaptor.

How would HDMI Audio explain the 50Hz VIDEO issue he is experiencing? If the OP uses DVI > DVI = 60Hz. If he uses HDMI > HDMI = 50Hz on the same monitor (no option for 60Hz).

Any updates on this?

Back