• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Socket 478 Coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VaTechHokies

I am new to overclocking and want to build a new system with a P4 socket 478 northwood :). Does anyone have any recommendations on the type of cooler to use? I would like to use a water cooler...but as everyone knows they are quite expensive. Does anyone know of any water coolers on the cheaper side, but still do the trick? On the other hand, what is the best air cooled heat sink I can get? Copper or aluminum? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don't know anything about water cooling, but for air cooled the Swiftech MCX478 is the most effecient cooler.

Build you own system. Go to autozone and get a heater core that fit your case($20). Get a pump the Alwood pump at Walmart($10) or the Maxi-jet 1200 at Petsmart.com for ($22) which is what I got. Get the hoses and barbs from Home Depot($10) and a gray plastic eletrical box for($12) if you want a reservoir. Get the maze 2 with the 478 bracket at Danger Den($60). Lastly get some 120mm fans or whatever that will work for you at eletronic goldmine($2.99ea). Total about $120 give and take a few. I am not sure if you need w/c cause most people seem to do ok with stock and still get 2.2 out of the 1.6a. There is lots of talk about the Sunflower hsf. I think is about $30. If you have money to blow and an itch for it, go with h2o. If not get the sunflower of the swiftech and deal with the noise.

As F155 mentioned the AVC Sunflower is about the best choice without spending $70+ on a Swifty

I took the liberty of finding you the cheapest AVC Sunflower Here

$24 +$4.30 from an Excellent Vendor.

sunflower1.jpg

Here's Joe's

Review

I plan on watercooling my socket 478 Cpu but the Sunflower will be used until I figure out how modify a Waterblock for my Needs

Thanks for all the help Joe. Got a couple more quesitons for everyone if you don't mind. What type of thermal compound should I use? If I went w/ a sunflower (which I probably will cause I don't really want to pay $75 for a swiftech) will they compound they provide do the trick? Once again thanks for all the help... I' trying to learn as much as I can before I invest in a new system.

Back