• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new i7 build please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhettoB170

Registered
I'm looking for some suggestions on ways to get the best bang for my buck on a new system I'm building. Right now I'm planning on going with a 930 and two gtx460. I have a ultra 120 extreme and am hoping to hit at least 4 ghz with that. Also I'm adding a 60 gb vertex 2 because that serena like a huge upgrade. I'm planning on using 6gb of ram. I'm very undecided on the motherboard. I just want something that will let me use sli and hit the max my chip can do. I plan to water cool eventually so the board needs to hit a high enough bclk to sc the chop on water someday. is there a cheaper board that can handle that?

Motherboard suggestions would be great! or any other part of the system. Is there a better ssd deal? Great ddr3 kit? Is dual gtx460 the way to go? or is p55 plus a single card better?

Finally, how does using a lda755 heat sink work on 1366? Do most boards have both connections? or do I need an adapter? Thanx in advance and remember I going for best bang for the buck sorta deals.

I'm looking for some suggestions on ways to get the best bang for my buck on a new system I'm building. Right now I'm planning on going with a 930 and two gtx460. I have a ultra 120 extreme and am hoping to hit at least 4 ghz with that. Also I'm adding a 60 gb vertex 2 because that serena like a huge upgrade. I'm planning on using 6gb of ram. I'm very undecided on the motherboard. I just want something that will let me use sli and hit the max my chip can do. I plan to water cool eventually so the board needs to hit a high enough bclk to sc the chop on water someday. is there a cheaper board that can handle that?

Motherboard suggestions would be great! or any other part of the system. Is there a better ssd deal? Great ddr3 kit? Is dual gtx460 the way to go? or is p55 plus a single card better?

Finally, how does using a lda755 heat sink work on 1366? Do most boards have both connections? or do I need an adapter? Thanx in advance and remember I going for best bang for the buck sorta deals.
You're going to need a 1366 backplate for that TRUE unless the backplate on the TRUE can be used as a 775 and then flipped over to be used with 1366, I've seen that before. Have you considered what type of PSU you want? I highly recommend a Corsair or Seasonic, they're good quality power supplies. Lastly, I think 2x GTX 460 is a good choice and as for the mother board, I would go with an MSI Big Bang X-Power.

MSI Big Bang
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289

I'll have to look into that board I hadn't even seen it before. I already own a psu. It is a ocz 700 or 750 one so I'm thinking I'm good there. I try to two builds out of my power supplies.

170...I think bigbang (actually a korean boy group who made last farewell...sick music vid...plus I met the actor in the vid with I was in s.kr last year - he so so cute I offered to put in my handbag...he just smiled at me...smitten little kitten I was) is a good OCer, also ASUS mobo's are pretty solid. I'd try not go the rampage extreme 3 mobo for non-gulftown PC build. While the mobo is fantastic, seem people posting some solid OC consistently and better that re3 when using anything but the 980x. For the 980x cpu its all about the rampage lov-vie.
Cooler. 120 extreme...do u have the budget to step it up? The D14 and magalahems really are a step up but if the temps are good with the 120, then 930 will be fine. Both have the same thermal envelope, mind u - in most cased the 930 is a great OCer and could require better cooling to get the best out of it.
fam is right about the PSU...good solid PSU if u dont have one is a must. See what u want to go for wattage-wise and u'll be fine. Dont think one company makes the best in all classes for PSU. 500w-sub 1kw range, there is huge competition for each hundred range so do ur homework. I need a 1kw+ PSU and opted for the enermax 85 1.25kw...its noise levels will make u smile. Pay close attention to how the rails are setup and how they behave under full load, noise levels, heat inside/outside. Also, check that underload how much the rails drop. Most decent PSU follow the ATX spec's but some hardware does not like major changes at all. SSDs really like solid stable power.
Ur also powering some power hungry GPUs. Make sure u have enough converters if required for the PCIe power plug things.

Back