• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 630

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

u13turbo

Registered
Hey guys just wondering if a P4 630 is any good? its 2mb cache, 800mhz bus.

This guy is selling it with a RC410L/800-M MotherBoard, Would it overclock ok? and would it be ok for gaming?

thanks!

Price? the P4 is ok, but if you only use winamp and web browser if doesn´t don´t waste your money and save for something better

For gaming? Only if the game was made in ~2005 or older.
If it's newer then that, a P4 isn't very good for it.

Would it overclock ok? and would it be ok for gaming?

Once again, you're looking at an old CPU on a low-end board with no real overclocking features to speak of. It's a really hot-running chip, and IIRC, that ATi chipset can be kind of a PITA.

However, it's a lot better than most of the other crap you've been digging up. The Prescott 2M P4 isn't that great, but paired with a decent PCIe graphics card, it'll at least be able to do some gaming. Granted, you're probably not going to be able to play a lot of the newest games, but it's better than nothing.

Celeron 330j 2,6ghz 256kb cache can run COD4 so if you're playing 2007-2008ish games you'll be able to play them on low to mid settings depending on your other components - gpu & ram.

On the plus side, it's mighty easy to get those to 4ghz. That helps the gaming situation.

That deal sold to someone else, but iv got a new idea lol!

I'm buying a p5k se Mobo(pretty decent from what i hear) The guy is just going to test, and if its all good hes selling to me for $35NZD

So i am currently selling my 1gb ddr400 to buy some ddr2 ram, and I just have to find an average GPU.

So for the meantime it will be running my Celeron D 3.06ghz cpu, and I'll eventually get a Core 2 Duo.

Doesn't really matter all that much. I'd get at least 667mhz stuff, 800 is better.
Ideally 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings, but considering your budget i wouldn't worry about the timings much. You aren't likely to notice a difference between 800-4-4-4-12 and 800-6-6-6-18 anyway. In benches? Absolutely. In real life? No.

would the stuff in previous post work? it says its ECC or something which i dont really know what that means.

thanks for your help btw

i dont think so, ecc compatibility is generally only found on good server boards and some raid card and the like. could be wrong though, going from memory here.

i dont think so, ecc compatibility is generally only found on good server boards and some raid card and the like. could be wrong though, going from memory here.

Thanks for that, I did a quick Google on this and apparently it would work, sometimes you just have to configure something in the bios so its set as non-ecc ram, Bit difficult to no for sure i guess :shrug:

thats kool...i wonder if telling the bios that its not ecc would set the ram to "non ecc mode" as it were or just cause ram errors...? guess someone who knows for sure will chime in.

edit: also i think there are different types, ecc buffered / non-buffered / registered / non-registerd so maybe some combos will / some wont work. Personally i would go w/ something thats a known good config.

Back