• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink suggestions for an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TonyMc

I need help here fellas.
I just put together a new rig last Fri.
Specs:
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 mobo.
Phenom II 955 BE.
4 gigs of Kingston HyperX with the HyperX 2-fan cooler.
MSI GTS250.
Xclio 380 case.
So my dilemma is that the mem slots are so close to the CPU socket that my Enzotech Extreme will not fit so I'm using the stock cooler(which barley fits as well).
Running Prime95, for a minute or two at stock speeds, results in a load temp of 60c so O.C.ing is out of the question until I get a suitable cooler.
Any suggestions for such a tight mobo?

Which way do you have the heat pipes pointed? Are you using the Enzotech type X adapter? Is the the fan cooler on top of the RAM that is interfering with the cooler if so why not just remove the RAM cooler since the Enzotech over hangs the RAM modules and blows air down on them.

Last edited:
Which way do you have the heat pipes pointed? Are you using the Enzotech type X adapter?
Yes. I tried both ways and even with the HyperX cooler off, with the tall cooling sinks on the HyperX ram it won't work the other way.
Is the Coolit ECO a good solution? I know I will have to remove the side fan off the Xclio in order to fit the radiator, but if that's what it takes...

You have the RAM in the black slots and with the heat pipe coming off on the RAM side it still wont clear the RAM?

Asus must have their RAM slots a hair closer than the Biostar board that I have, I don't have tall heatsinks on my RAM but looking in with the RAM in the 2nd and 4th slots with the heat pipes pointed towards the RAM it would clear the RAM but thats comparing apples and oranges. You may want to hit up Xokeman he runs the Coolit ECO but from all of his posts he really likes it and he has OC his 965 to 4ghz using it.

Thanks for the info Drone. :)
I wish I would have saved my WC gear from the past I could have just bought a new water block and been done with it.

Did you use the thermal compound that was on the cooler or did you wipe it clean and use some Artic Silver or equiv?

I generally clean what came with it and apply fresh. May or may not make a difference in your case but worth a look at.

Wow, that's a pretty crappy design that Asus did on that mobo, IMO. The ram slots are way too close to the socket (looked it up on the Egg). Just taking a wild guess, you might be able to run something like the Cogage True Spirit and buying the Thermalright AM3 mount Rev 2 to mount it on your AMD system with. That mount adapter will work just fine with the TS and the reason I say go with the TS over something like a TRUE or Ven-X is that the TS is a bit thinner than the other 2. And you still might have to offset the fan a little for clearance for the ram in the first slot. But that would be your best bet, IMO. BTW, the TS is one damn fine heatsink and cools right up there with the best of them.

And I am moving this over to the cooling forum, since we are talking about getting a good cooling solution for this mobo.

Thanks for all replies guys. I ended up buying the ECO last night. It looked like it should clear just fine. I didn't want to buy it if it was just a gimmick, but I found a couple threads on here about it and it looked to be a good choice for mild overclocks.
i6pwr. I do use the Artic silver. I use a thin layer on the CPU and then use a coffee filter to wipe the heat sink with it. That stock AMD cooler is just not up to the task. :)

Back