• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8320 Vdrop and ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Almin94

Hi,

I have ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and I bought new cpu - AMD FX 8320.

Now I have problem with stability of cpu frequency and voltage. When I run Prime95/IBT cpu voltage and freq drops down to 1.2V and 2.9GHz. All power saving options in Bios was disabled. What's the problem?

This motherboard should be enough for this cpu and give to it enough voltage. When I set cpu to 2.5GHz the problem is gone and frequency stay stable at 2.5GHz. While I had Phenom II X4 955BE I testi it on 1.55V and frequency and voltage are ultra stable - no Vdrop and anything else.
As such, he used a lot more energy then the current processor FX 8320.

MBO: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

GPU: EVGA GTX 770 ACX

CPU: AMD FX 8320

CPU COOLER: Corsair H60 (2013 Edition)

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922
(Fans: 3x 230mm, 2x 120mm)

RAM: Kingston HyperX blu. 8GB 1600MHz

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W

HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB

MONITOR: Philips 247E3L LED

Last edited:
Most of the time it is better to go with the chipset made for the series of cpus and that would have been a 990 chipset type. I heard all of the hoopla about peeps wanting older chipset boards to run FX processors and I guess Asus released a bios to allow running the FX on that older 890 board? They did release a bios right? For FX?

When the companies began to build full-on AM3+ mobos they made physical changes to the cpu power circuit that a bios change cannot make on your mobo.

Does the bios on that mobo have a setting called something like APM = Enable<>Disable. That is a new setting for FX processors. Application Power Managment and not the old Applied Power Manager. If that is not in bios to "Disable", then it is very likely that any pretty good load on the processor will cause the board to throttle itself back on Cpu multiplier and Cpu voltage.
RGone...

Good luck OCing very far on that. Doesn't have much of a VRM section to push an FX-83xx very far.

The CPU also isn't listed on the compatibility list, so you're lucky it even boots.

Almin94, welcome to the forum
This motherboard should be enough for this cpu and give to it enough voltage. When I set cpu to 2.5GHz the problem is gone and frequency stay stable at 2.5GHz. While I had Phenom II X4 955BE I testi it on 1.55V and frequency and voltage are ultra stable - no Vdrop and anything else.
As such, he used a lot more energy then the current processor FX 8320.

Unfortunately, the 955 is no where near as power hungry as the Fx 83xx processor, not even close. I have both a 955be and a Fx 8350, so I'm speaking from experience with them. These Fx chips are really demanding on the Vrm section of motherboards. If what RGone suggested isn't an option for you, then you may want to look into getting a "quality" motherboard for the Fx 8320. Here is a good read on what you should know about the motherboards for these chips.

Back