• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

460 Purchase Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZorrosRage

Registered
Ok I may do a build soon and the person I am building for does not know which of these two cards to purchase.

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 46
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391&cm_re=460-_-14-121-391-_-Product

or

Palit NE5X460SF1142 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261077&Tpk=460

The only difference I know is the Asus is one of the best to overclock. The Palit uses a shitty cooler so it does not over clock well, but its a 2gig version.

Is there a 2gig version with good cooling?

The person will be doing gaming and graphic design. games like starcraft, crysis, stalker ect ect. :blah:

I am not sure if the extra memory in 2gig version would benefit for graphic design. Like 3d modeling, rendering images, ect

Yeah, 2GB is overkill in my opinion. If you want a good GTX460 clocker, then get the MSI N460GTX Hawk. It has great cooling, and it's the first card with triple overvoltage control (core, mem, and pll). I wish it was out when I bought mine...

As mentioned the 2gb is unnecessary like those OEM builds with 16gb of ram (OMG 16gb) :rofl:

I would recommend this it has excellent stock clocks and evga is one of the most reliable manufacturers out there with excellent warranties.

eVGA does have lifetime warranties on their -AR models, that's why I got the eVGA card and since the Hawk wasn't out.

I wouldn't get the Superclocked version though, it's a waste of money if you're going to be OCing anyways. I got the "vanilla" version and it's up to 910/1820/2050...which is way higher than the Superclocked.

From what I am reading the Asus and the Hawk are the two best card overclock wise.

What is your experience if you own one of these?

I have the Gigabyte. It's dead silent and idles 6C above ambient. OC'd to 850 on stock voltage, fan on auto, it hits 55C gaming. Best 460 cooler out there IMHO.

Yep... every review or benchmark result I read from the Gigabyte versions has been amazing. The custom cooler on the 460 seems to do really well.

After reading some more about the hawk I read it actually has some voltage issues so may not go with that one.

So its asus or the gig

I'll just go with the cheapest of those two when hes ready to purchase then. Thanks for your help :-D

Back