• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 Internet browsers hang/wont' open

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulfly1448

So I disabled some of the Windows features on one of my PC's in hopes that maybe it would free up some space. I turned off the "Games, Internet Explorer 8, DVD Maker, Print Document Services (no printer), Tablet PC Components and XPS Services". Reboot and now Firefox won't open. It shows up in the Services tab of Task Manager but isn't in the Applications tab. Additionally, the CPU usage shoots up to 50%+ until I kill the firefox service off.

I turned everything back on that I turned off and I still get nothing. I tried reinstalling Firefox to no avail. Internet Explorer 8 will open but will not connect and immediately locks up.

And... I failed to make a restore point before I made the initial changes...

Any ideas before I just scrap it and reinstall?

diagnose the NET itself first. Minus the browsers.
check for Pings via the CMD prompt and Netstat and all that.
see if your "net" is active on the system first.

Try removing Yahoo tool bar and/or other tool bars using the remove programs under control panel. Yahoo tool bar caused my IE to suddenly stop opening.

Definitely no toolbars installed. I'll have to check connectivity tonight but Windows Update still seemed to be able to connect.

So I disabled some of the Windows features on one of my PC's in hopes that maybe it would free up some space. I turned off the "Games, Internet Explorer 8, DVD Maker, Print Document Services (no printer), Tablet PC Components and XPS Services".

That shouldn't cause Firefox to crash.

Just checked on it. Now browser still but I can connect to WoW (it's a wow box). I reviewed the running services for anything web related. Net.Tcp was not running and was set to disabled. Set it on Manual and started it and now the browsers will open again...

Net.Tcp was not running and was set to disabled. Set it on Manual and started it and now the browsers will open again...

That don't make sense. The internet don't require NetBIOS. (if taking about "TCP/IP NetBIOS helper")

NetBIOS is not TCP/IP.

I have that disabled and zero problems with internet access.

Back