• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marcelo1988

Registered
Hello, I´m new on this forum and i´m new on O/Clocking.
I´ve recently bought a new computer (/ ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO / AMD ATHLON II X4 3.0ghz / CORSAIR XMS3 (2X2GB) DUAL-CHANNEL DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) TW3X4G1333C9A G / CORSAIR CX430W / 120mm FAN AT THE BACK OF THE CASE / LG W2053TQ 20'' / WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32BITS /) and i am interested in overclocking it, but i don´t know how. Of course i know how to read and so i am completely able to search for FAQs and do this. But still I believe it´s nice to have somebody helping me, somebody that already understand how to make it happen.

I´ve read other ppl topics about O/C and I saw that its necessary to send some printscreens. So, here it goes:

Thanks guys
*Sorry for my english

:comp:

Attachments

• After 1h 45m of Prime.png
    After 1h 45m of Prime.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,442
  • After 10 min of Prime.png
    After 10 min of Prime.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,562
  • Before Prime.png
    Before Prime.png
    176.4 KB · Views: 1,525
Last edited:
Are you using the stock OEM cooler? With good aftermarket cooling you should be able to get around 3.6 ghz with that CPU. You will have to increase your core voltage, however to go that high. 1.264 is not enogh. Also, turn off Cool and Quiet and C1E in bios.

Yeah, with the parts in my sig I maxed my 620 out at 300x12. Dropping the multi a bit and upping the fsb got me higher than using the stock multi. But your CPU comes with a higher multi, so in theory that should help.

Are you using the stock OEM cooler? With good aftermarket cooling you should be able to get around 3.6 ghz with that CPU. You will have to increase your core voltage, however to go that high. 1.264 is not enogh. Also, turn off Cool and Quiet and C1E in bios.

Looking at the almost maxed cpu temp and mobo temp I have to ask about the possibility of his case severely lacking airflow especially if there is only 1 exhaust fan. def toss the stock heatsink in the trash though especially for even a slight overclock. Now if they would use the same coolers as the phenom ii's he'd probably be ok for awhile.

(Are you using the stock OEM cooler?)
Yes, I am using the cooler that came with the CPU.

(Looking at the almost maxed cpu temp and mobo temp I have to ask about the possibility of his case severely lacking airflow especially if there is only 1 exhaust fan. def toss the stock heatsink in the trash though especially for even a slight overclock. Now if they would use the same coolers as the phenom ii's he'd probably be ok for awhile.)
My case is a low quality one, there´s space for one 120mm on the back (120mm fan of low quality, making a lot of noise), and on the side is like this picture http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/Triton_180/images/case16.jpg with the duct in the same position.
So the fan on the back is throwing air from inside to outside of the case.
The OEM cooler is throwing air directly into the duct...
I´ll take a picture when i get home
Thankss
:salute:

As a common courtesy, please put your system info in your "Sig" so that it shows up at the bottom of every post. Helpful to us as the threads get longer so we don't have to keep referring back to an early post. Go to "Quick Links" and then choose "Edit Signature".

Also, note the "QUOTE" button at the bottom of every post box. It comes in handy when you want to include someone's quote in your reply.

As a common courtesy, please put your system info in your "Sig" so that it shows up at the bottom of every post. Helpful to us as the threads get longer so we don't have to keep referring back to an early post. Go to "Quick Links" and then choose "Edit Signature".

Also, note the "QUOTE" button at the bottom of every post box. It comes in handy when you want to include someone's quote in your reply.

Sorry, my system info is in my "Sig" and now i see the QUOTE button. Thanks for the tips!!

The stock OEM cooler is not good?
Which one is recomended to replace it?

The hyper 212 has good performance for a good cost, if you want to go air. If you don't intend to upgrade your case though you might consider an LCL (low cost liquid cooling) Corsair makes the h50 and h70, but I recommend CoolIT's products because I loved mine.

You can get decent cooling for under $70 for sure, your other option is a new case to help with airflow. I highly recommend the coolermasters, the HAF 932 and HAF X are very nice. Coolermaster has refurbs on their website you can get a 932 for about $99.

You have several low cost options before you get into the big rigs and full WC. Check out newegg and our cooling section, see what people recommend ( I never did after market air cooling, I went straight to LCLC and then a large WC rig.

Edit: With a small case, you may have some issues with larger air coolers.

I'm not sure how much that case is on that site in USD, but I wouldn't pay 200 USD for that case at all personally. Check into Lian Li, see if anyone around you carries them. I'm personally not a thermaltake fan, but you might be. I recommend trying to look at the case you want in person first, specs online just don't really cut it.

Is your current case at least 8" (200mm) wide? If not the Hyper 212+ and none of the other 120mm coolers will fit.

If you're looking for a new case make sure it's 200mm wide at least. You might check CoolerMaster cases - they make some that are fairly cheap and a couple of those are wide enough ...

Back