• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Student Build Photoshop Archicad Illustrator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeviantV1ral

it'll be in a small room so i chose a slim mATX case and the user is greenwashed hence the low power 80+ power supply

i chose a 1x4gb stick for upgrading later

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
$19.99

Antec Minuet350 Piano Black Steel MicroATX Slim Case Computer Case 350W 80PLUS Certified Power Supply
$106.99

ASUS M4A785T-M AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$79.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL
$66.99

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop cy
$99.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb
$45.00

Windows 7 (student discount :D)
$30.0

Subtotal: $448.95

All from newegg except the hard drive

I'd like to add a scratch disk if possible what do you guys think? are there any deals for similar components

with the integrated run archicad well?

i read it supports CS5 acceleration

any suggestions on Display 1920x1200 at least 22" 180 dollar for display budget color/contrast is most important as well

Last edited:
isnt random reads/writes bad for ssds? anyway we've decided on having 2 drives 1 for scratch, so need a cheap fast low capacity drive

what about a 160gb caviar blue for os and apps

500gb caviar black for scratch and media files

btw how big should do scratch partition be?

without causing any $$$ problems i indicate a few things
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts-update-1/Adobe-Photoshop-CS-4,1387.html

the intel processors Co-processor junk is often more implemented for media encoding, and photoshop work, making a intel vs amd clock for clock , ,, as shown.
even though you can probably get a better AMD and good amd socketed board for way less money, a person should know that most of the media geeks would go for intel for doing that.
but
while implementing more of the intels co-processing junk, they really dont push all 4 Cores and HT stuff (multithread the work well), which they should have done by now for the price ya gotta pay for the thing.

if this is the archicad that will be used, here is relevent Video card, and multi threaded info on that.

Q: Is ArchiCAD multi-threaded?
A: Until ArchiCAD 12, ArchiCAD was not multi-threaded as a whole. ArchiCAD 12 takes advantage of multiple cores / processors in various computationally intensive areas such as the generation of sections and elevations, 3D generation, loading and saving, drawing updates, and LightWorks rendering. In addition, ArchiCAD 12 takes better advantage of the graphics processor in your display adapter. In ArchiCAD 10 and 11, these are the functions that support multi-threading:
http://archicadwiki.com/Multiprocessing?highlight=(CategoryHardware)
(lots and lots more at link.)

Last edited:
a comparable i5 is waaay more money

would a 4650 be fast enough?

Last edited:
any particular reason other than triple channel? it'll be upgraded with another stick down the road

isnt random reads/writes bad for ssds?

Nope. Wear leveling/TRIM deal with that issue

anyway we've decided on having 2 drives 1 for scratch, so need a cheap fast low capacity drive

what about a 160gb caviar blue for os and apps

500gb caviar black for scratch and media files

btw how big should do scratch partition be?

Spend the extra $10 and get a black for the OS/programs. There's no real performance gain in having a separate partition for the scratch drive; just set it to the 500GB drive.

Last edited:
I remember when DDR first came out and people were doing dual channel tests. the difference was so minute it wasn't worth it.

is DDR3 more useable with dual channel, even triple channel?

back then it might've been limited by the bandwidth and memory controllers i suppose

so i got around to building it, it seemed good.

however it bsod using illustrator after about 6 hours of working. some 3d effects at the end.

i ran a prime95 overnight seemed stabled but it bsod the when i woke up the next morning.

did a memtest86 because of the single slot and mention of this particular ram being an intel ram, also upped the voltage by .01 memtest tested ok.

any help?

also she opens up the .ai file and system ram usage jumps up to 70%
illustrator is using around 2gb

is illustrator limited to 2gb?

would a scratch disk help or maybe a dedicated gpu for the 3d effects?

Back