• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

passing 4ghz 1090t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eux

Registered
Hello OCF, i'm rather new here and just recently built my first WC rig thanks to this site :D. Having lots of trouble pushing my 1090t past 4ghz. I'm relatively new to over clocking but have been reading a bunch. It was very easy to get to 4ghz with my set up, but I just can't get any further without BSODs.
Heres a screenshot of my stable 4ghz, 30min prime95 fft test -
loadoc.png

Any ideas on what I can do to achieve a better OC? Thanks.

i think that you are at the limit of your current setup. You are right at the limit of the temp wall of 55c and that is probably why you are crashing when you go further. What stop code is your bsod giving you? Have you tried to lower ram divider by 1 notch or bringing up the vcore or cpu/nb vcore? We really need to know what you have done in order to better help.

i think that you are at the limit of your current setup. You are right at the limit of the temp wall of 55c and that is probably why you are crashing when you go further. What stop code is your bsod giving you? Have you tried to lower ram divider by 1 notch or bringing up the vcore or cpu/nb vcore? We really need to know what you have done in order to better help.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that I've read with my motherboard the cores are what I should be following(crosshair IV). I'm not sure if I have a ram divider option in my bios. I have tried raising the cpu vcore and cpu/nb vcore to no avail(I also have LLC enabled). I've tried ocing just using my multiplier, and I still get bsods passing 4.1ghz. I forget the stop code but I could re-create it easily if needed.

Last edited:
You've got a great final configuration but if you're still trying to push the CPU and cpuNB I'd start by loosening the RAM timings since they're a lot tighter than the JEDEC spec.

I would also lower the cpuNB speed down to ~2500 MHz unless you needed it running that fast to stabilize the CPU overclock. You might try increasing the HT Link as well. A lot of X6's like to have the HT Link and cpuNB running the same speed. I wouldn't increase the HT Link past 2600 MHz.

That's about all I can see that may be holding you back. Keep us posted ... :)

You've got a great final configuration but if you're still trying to push the CPU and cpuNB I'd start by loosening the RAM timings since they're a lot tighter than the JEDEC spec.

I would also lower the cpuNB speed down to ~2500 MHz unless you needed it running that fast to stabilize the CPU overclock. You might try increasing the HT Link as well. A lot of X6's like to have the HT Link and cpuNB running the same speed. I wouldn't increase the HT Link past 2600 MHz.

That's about all I can see that may be holding you back. Keep us posted ... :)

I set my cpuNB and HT Link speed to 2500MHz, and my ram timings to 9-9-9-24. I also increased my multiplier to 16.5x to give me a 4.1ghz oc and its been stable for 30 mins in p95. I tried setting my multiplier to 17x and increasing my vcore cpu/nb vcore but still got bsods. I think my ram is becoming unstable. I really cant find much info on ram timings/etc so not sure how much further I can oc. Thanks for the help btw!

You can try tightening up the RAM timings again, nothing wrong with that if you've reached the end of the CPU OC. :)

RAM timings are very unpredictable, which is why you can't find much information about them. Each board, each CPU, each stick of RAM is difference enough that getting the best performance from your RAM with your system (as it is now but maybe not tomorrow) takes time and a lot of patience. For me it's just not worth it past doing some fiddling with the main timings and speed as you're doing.

PS
One thing that might help with the RAM is the tRFC - if you have the option to adjust that. Setting tRFC to 110ns or higher can sometimes squeeze a little more from the RAM but don't expect miracles ... ;)

first of all friend , T1 , thats quite a command rate your trying to apply , amd prefers T2 command rates and intel T1 , second of all your i noticed you had 7 - 7 -7 -20 - 27 ? good timings but increase the delay timing of the your RAS , when overclocking try remember these rules concerning memory ,

RAS = sum of CAS + RCD + RP ( example 7+7+7 = 21 ) give each timing the appropriate delay if your RAS is lower than your total of CAS , RCD and RP , your stability starts to decrease , only factory settings with the RAS lower and good quality memory would be stable . Then RC = RP + RAS ( 7+21 = 28 )

lower the timings at will but if you get a blue screen then somewhere one of your delay timings missed and crashed .

Finaly , if your trying to get more CPU Mhz lowering the HT is useful , and for memory stability increasing the NBCPU , please pay attention to the difference between NB and NBCPU .

NB = dedicated north bridge
NBCPU = memory controller on the CPU itself

so in the bios if you want lets say 3000 mhz NBCPU use 1.435 V and it will be stable . remember that CPUz shows NBCPU as NB frequency but by defualt they mean the NBCPU.

use my example here i made a quick snap

Capture003926.jpg

first time i ocd the CPU , before upping the memory .

Capture004.jpg

then i tweaked , realized i dont need as much voltage , or NBCPU ,

i noticed you have 8GB ram , try pumping your NB volt ( not CPUNB ) by 0.2 and try again .

also remember mhz on memory doesn't mean performance gain , precise timings do , the formula of mhz * 8bit / 1000 = GB/s ( 1600 * 8 = 12800 / 1000 = 12.8GB/s ) , is only valid with factory settings after tweaking the ram it doesn't apply @ 1410 i'm getting 14.2 GB/s @ 7.7.7.21.28 T2

hope all that babble helped

I've been trying a bunch of different things but not much has been working, my ram really craps out past 4ghz. I appreciate all the replies! Venetica thx a lot for clearing that up for me.
Heres my current oc as you can see I changed a few things. My temps are starting to get a bit concerning though.
loadoc.png

That OC doesn't look bad at all. :) I'm surprised you needed 2T to get it running that fast. Did you ever try a small bump to vDIMM (RAM voltage) instead?

BTW - I hope you did NOT pay attention to the NB and cpuNB voltages in the above post. We've had people run that much through their chips only to have a dead chip inside 6 months or so. There's no reason to kill a chip over a 3% overall performance gain unless it's a short-term setting for Benching. "AMD safe" voltages for your cpuNB are 1.05-1.175 and while I can see running 1.20v under some conditions anything past that is walking a thin edge, IMO.

@ Tweak-venetica-
I appreciate the RAM timings tips but, quite frankly, I find your voltage settings dangerous to say the least. I hope your 1090T survives until next year ...

Last edited:
That OC doesn't look bad at all. :) I'm surprised you needed 2T to get it running that fast. Did you ever try a small bump to vDIMM (RAM voltage) instead?

BTW - I hope you did NOT pay attention to the NB and cpuNB voltages in the above post. We've had people run that much through their chips only to have a dead chip inside 6 months or so. There's no reason to kill a chip over a 3% overall performance gain unless it's a short-term setting for Benching.

@ Tweak-venetica-
I appreciate the RAM timings tips but, quite frankly, I find your voltage settings dangerous to say the least. I hope your 1090T survives until next year ...

I did not need the 2T to get it running that fast I just set it to that because it was recommended above. I have my RAM voltage set to 1.65v.

oke , wait , your HT link , drop it if you want to gain CPU headroom , also , run things like sisoftsadra memory bandwidth benchmark and as your bandwith increases start adding to the CPU , but it's looking good .
only other problem is , the higher the cpu mhz the lower the temps are going to need to be at 4.4Ghz you should stay below 45'C for stability , so higher clock lower temp

@ Tweak-venetica-

your quite right they are very high , it's not for a permanent solution , i didn't see him wanting it for a permanent OC, there is alot of problems with guys burning there chips because they take there cpu NB voltage and apply it to NB , NB doesn't require it . check your Hwmonitor TMPIN 1 would be your NB always a-bit warmer than CPU but very close to it's temps . scratch the CPUNB voltage if your going for a long term OC , but if you just want to see whats your highest bench dont worry to-much about the amount of voltage you feed it , just make sure you keep it below 48'C remember it also heats up your cpu. it's built into it

there ICE dude i cleared up my scratchy explanation haha , but it's true the ppl do say they burnt there NB on the motherboard , what they doing adjusting the bloody motherboard NB voltage , any real overclocker knows that if your running 8GB and more a slight increment from stock would service note plural "increment" would make the machine stable . but dude from above like i said if it's permanent try stay away from the CPUNB voltages ,:cool:

your quite right they are very high , it's not for a permanent solution , i didn't see him wanting it for a permanent OC, there is alot of problems with guys burning there chips because they take there cpu NB voltage and apply it to NB , NB doesn't require it . check your Hwmonitor TMPIN 1 would be your NB always a-bit warmer than CPU but very close to it's temps . scratch the CPUNB voltage if your going for a long term OC , but if you just want to see whats your highest bench dont worry to-much about the amount of voltage you feed it , just make sure you keep it below 48'C remember it also heats up your cpu. it's built into it

there ICE dude i cleared up my scratchy explanation haha , but it's true the ppl do say they burnt there NB on the motherboard , what they doing adjusting the bloody motherboard NB voltage , any real overclocker knows that if your running 8GB and more a slight increment from stock would service note plural "increment" would make the machine stable . but dude from above like i said if it's permanent try stay away from the CPUNB voltages ,:cool:

With the temps he's running and the minor OC ( 4ghz vs. 4.4 or something) I would certainly think he is trying to run 24/7 with this. Your temps are a bit better than mine were with a CoolIT c120, you might still have a bit of head-room, I personally have my cpu freq. set to the stock 200 and do ALL of my OCing through the multiplier, that helped my RAM stability a LOT. For some reason I can run happy 24/7 with just the multi oc'd, but if I touch the cpu freq. it crashes instantly. YMMV, but worth a shot if you can get a higher OC right? :D

oke , wait , your HT link , drop it if you want to gain CPU headroom , also , run things like sisoftsadra memory bandwidth benchmark and as your bandwith increases start adding to the CPU , but it's looking good .
only other problem is , the higher the cpu mhz the lower the temps are going to need to be at 4.4Ghz you should stay below 45'C for stability , so higher clock lower temp

How did you achieve a 43c load with your H70 at 4.2ghz ?
that temperature is amazing?
is it fully loaded?

Back